Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-11-13, 00:55

Default end of the line

I found a transcription of a family bible online that is somehow connected to OH's family. I think the wife/mother in the transcription is the sister of OH's 4g grandfather but I can't prove that yet. However a son of the couple married the daughter of the 4g grandfather. That is fact.

The couple have 16 children (7 females, 9 males). 14 of the children survived to adulthood, the remaining 2 I have not yet found so may have survived. Not one female married, only 3 males married and only one of those (married to OH's 3g aunt) had any children.

Many of the sisters lived together, on and off, according to the census and 2 of the younger brothers also lived together.

It is strange that given there were 16 children to start with that it appears only one of them went on to have a family of their own. They had 2 children, the first 10 years after marriage. Those 2 daughters did not have children of their own, one did not marry and the other married her cousin's husband, after the cousin died.

I know lines die out but it is sad to see.
Old 06-11-13, 08:22

I have this as well, more than once in fact and the result is that many lines are dying out - the surname will die with my brother as the only descendants are female.

My great grandmother was one of eleven. Only two married (one married her uncle, at the age of 14, urghh) and the two who married produced only three children between them. The unmarried ones lived together in varying combinations till they died of very old age. I have often wondered why the men especially, did not marry.

OC
Old 06-11-13, 08:35
Administrator

When my 3xg-grandfather split his daughter from her husband from beyond the grave in 1765, I wonder if he would have been pleased or otherwise to know their line clung on for nearly 150 years despite lots of premature deaths etc.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-11-13, 10:44

I have quite a few similar families.

In my own paternal line, although the descendants are continuing, the surname will die with me, which is rather sad.
Old 06-11-13, 12:57

My brother & one cousin are the last surviving males of our line. My brother has 2 daughters and our cousin has 2 sons, although I don't think they bear the surname. One of my nieces has said she will keep her surname even if she does marry, but she is adamant that she won't have children so the name will then die out from our line.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 06-11-13, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
When my 3xg-grandfather split his daughter from her husband from beyond the grave in 1765
How did he manage that?
Old 06-11-13, 23:56

I imagine she didn't get the money if she was still with him.
Old 07-11-13, 07:20

Toni, we have this happening on quite a few of my major lines in my Mum's family, so much so that my uncle (by marriage) wrote a poem about it for a family gathering.

We no longer have any Purkis, Quintrell or White descendants from my ancestors, which is very sad. There were lots of girls, and the boys didn't seem to have boys or reproduce at all!
Old 07-11-13, 11:29

I did find one of the missing 2 brothers and he did marry and reproduce. I haven't yet traced if the children continued.

I think it just hit me as I traced this line in a couple of days so they were born and died out in a very short time (to me) and there were a lot of children. I'm still surprised mum lasted 8 years after her last child before dying.
Old 07-11-13, 11:35

I know what you mean about things hitting you when you do the research in a few days.

My 5 x GGM had 19 children in 25 years. Only two survived to adulthood. She outlived them all and was a widow for 20 odd years. I cannot imagine what her life was like, or how she survived.

OC