Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 05-11-10, 21:02

Default Abigail Neal MMMMM

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Abigail Neal

Date and place of birth
c1807 Sutton, Sussex

Names of parents
William Neal & Abigail (nee Leggatt)

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
27th Sep Sutton, Sussex have tried to seek out the original entry but the microfiche at Worthing library is missing. She was a twin (sister was Anna)

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
20 Sep 1830 to Edmund Harwood at Sutton, Sussex (the local boot & shoemaker & later subpostmaster & Registrar of Births & Deaths)Witnesses: Henry Harwood, Sarah Neal

Occupation(s) - if any
none listed

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK)
Appears in every census 1841-81 at Sutton, Sussex sometimes specified at the post office (next door to the blacksmith). A post box still stands outside the house.

Date, place and cause of death
25 Nov 1888, Sutton, Sussex

Date and place of burial.
Sutton, Sussex

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
None

Memorial inscription - if any
I was very new at this when I found her grave; all I wrote down was her date of death! Wasn’t much else on it as I recall, I have a very poor photo showing a row of graves with stones for her husband and children William & Lucy. Maybe I’ll go back but it’s a long hike from Amberley station. (And I had to walk through Bignor where her grandfather is buried but I'd no idea about that at the time!)

We did the long hike, thanks OH for lending me his jacket to wrap round my hand to clear the nettles. In a row of graves l-r Lucy, Alice, William (unmarried children who outlived her), then Abigail, then Edmund her husband.Inscription:

In/Loving Memory of/Abigail widow of/Edmund Harwood/who entered into rest/November 25th 1888/aged 81 years/ for if we believe that Jesus died and/rose again, even so them also which/sleep in Jesus will God bring with him/ Thessalonians

Photo to follow

Link to mother Abigail Leggatt
No link to father William Neal, missed doing him.
Link to daughter Emma Harwood
Link to husband Edmund Harwood

Last edited by Jill; 28-10-13 at 20:15. Reason: wrong marrriage date/ grave inscription/links/witnesses
Old 06-11-10, 10:48
Administrator

Are you sure about this, Jill? She would have been about 13 when she got married if those dates are right?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-11-10, 15:54

Whoops! Kiterunner thanks for pointing that out it's my poor typing, marriage should be 1830, will go back an alter it.

Tags
to3g2