Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 15-10-10, 03:11

Default Christian Hartmann

Names of parents
Father: Henry Hartmann mother: unknown
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Carlena/Caroline Wilhelmine DAMMEIER/DAMEIER
Occupation(s) - if any
saddler
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
Lived at Othfresen, Hannover, Germany
Date, place and cause of death
26 September 1886, registered Glen Innes, NSW, Australia
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Dundee cemetery, NSW, Australia
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Last edited by battys friend; 15-10-10 at 03:14.
Old 15-10-10, 08:20

Welcome to GF, Battys Friend.

I suppose you have Christian's death cert???? Do you have his marriage cert??? Do you know if that was Australia or Germany?
Old 15-10-10, 08:24

Christian Hartman born 26 Aug 1803 Germany.

Married Carlena Dameier 1830 Hannover

Died 26 Sept 1886 Glen Innes

Parents Jobst Heinrich Hartman and Annie Sophie Eleanore Ottking.

Does that sound right ?

Do you have Ancestry??
Old 16-10-10, 03:23

Smile Christian Hartmann

Dear HarrysMum,

Thank you for the information that you have given me. I have been specificly looking for the parents of Christian/Christoph Hartmann.
Yes I am a member of Ancestry.com (UK & Australia only) I guess Germany would be a great help with this query. However I also found the entry which has been put on ancestry for the parents of Christian and I'm not inclined to take it at face value. My thinking is this-

I was of the understanding that there was a German naming system for children. With what was given in ancestry, the names of Christian siblings don't match up with any of the Hartmann names that I am familiar with. (Ernestine Sophie, Carl Wilhelm, Sophie Ernestine, Marie Ernestine, Ernst Heinrich are the names given as his siblings) I guess the name Heinrich does match, as this is what Christian's father's name is.

The other inconsistency is where Jobst Heinrich Hartmann was born (Sulbeck, Schamuburg, Lippe, Nordrhein-Wesstfalen, Germany). He is also married at this place and all but one of his children named on ancestry and also on the IGI are born the same place. Christian is the only one different. This strikes me as being rather out of kilter. It also seems a bit odd that Jobst and Anne were married in 1795 and the first of their children, namely Christian was not born until 1803.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this matter.
I don't have any certificates for Christian, but have found his naturalisation document on the internet Christian Hartmann was naturalized on 6 December, 1875 {Naturalization Index - Reg No 4; page 19; item [4/1203]; Reel 1130} and I do have confirmation that he came to Australia with some of his family on the "Sophie".

Thank you for your interest, battys mumhttp://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Tags
to2g30