Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 08-02-19, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I'm using this online service, which gives you a load of free credits to start with, after which you have to pay, but it's not very expensive:

https://www.geneticaffairs.com
That's one i've never heard of.

Is it any good?
Old 08-02-19, 13:51

It seems OK to me; it produces a Leeds-style diagram in HTML format with a searchable table of all the matches below it.

The only thing that not everybody might like is that you have to give it your log-in details to Ancestry or whichever site you want it to cluster the data from.

I'd been making clusters that were probably too large, because I included X who matched Y and Z, and A and B who matched Y, and Q and R who matched B, etc., all in the same cluster, which this system doesn't.

You can see the output it produces here:

https://www.geneticaffairs.com/image...ic_Affairs.pdf

The names in the table are hyperlinked to the person's profile in whichever website you've used.
Old 08-02-19, 22:15

Thanks Mary, definitely going to look into trying this out.
Old 09-02-19, 17:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Is it hard to use Kate? I'd love something like this.

Also when it is finished can you tell us how long it took to run? Thanks
It (AncestryDNA Helper) is still scanning my match list at the moment, so it has been running for a few days, but I guess it would have been quicker if my laptop didn't go to sleep every time I leave it for a while. Apparently the scan puts everything into a database on my computer, and I can then click a "Download matches" button which extracts a .csv file from that database, which can be opened in Microsoft Excel. So I suppose it depends on how good you are with Excel - I know very little about it! But I assume I can sort by name, which should be useful. Also, I have been reading instructions and discussions, and finally realised that I could have downloaded a .csv file to start looking at before the scan finishes, so maybe I will try that next time my laptop goes to sleep.

Edit - I clicked the "Download matches" button and it showed that I have over 27,000 DNA matches but it has only scanned 12,000 of them so far!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-02-19, 15:51
Administrator

Quote:
Is it hard to use Kate? I'd love something like this.

Also when it is finished can you tell us how long it took to run? Thanks
Okay, it's (AncestryDNA Helper) finally finished downloading my matches and their ancestors into a database on my laptop - it took about a week but would have been a bit quicker if I had set my laptop not to go to sleep from the beginning! I did do that partway through.

As far as I can make out so far, the actual Google Chrome extension is useless, probably because it has not been updated to keep in step with all ancestry's software changes, but it has produced the database, and there is a very useful blog with info on what to do with that database, which I'm currently having a go at:

https://dnahelpersql.blogspot.com/p/...e-manager.html

Old 14-02-19, 02:19

A week is forever. I tried running it myself as I'm impatient. At first it just ran away flashing screen after screen, now it seems to be sitting there with a match open and a box saying scanning matches and a cancel option. The match does not change unless I cancel and resume. Is this correct or has it stalled somehow?
Old 14-02-19, 04:13

Toni, judging from Kite's experience and my reading of the programmer's blog I don't think it's stalled. It's just a very long-running program and the display you're seeing is just the last milestone it passed along the way. What Kite did was smart, where she set the computer never to go to sleep.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 14-02-19, 08:13

My computer doesn't go to sleep but I'm never sure if it works if the browser window is not on top, like it isn't now as I'm in here. I'm even running it over night which I don't normally do.

I'll wait a few more days and see what happens. I've been rather tired this week so don't remember what day I started it on lol
Old 14-02-19, 10:44
Administrator

Quote:
A week is forever. I tried running it myself as I'm impatient. At first it just ran away flashing screen after screen, now it seems to be sitting there with a match open and a box saying scanning matches and a cancel option. The match does not change unless I cancel and resume. Is this correct or has it stalled somehow?
You do sometimes need to cancel it and resume to get it going again, Toni.

Old 14-02-19, 11:29

Thanks Kite. It's just that I can't tell if there is any progress even when I dd that.