Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 30-03-15, 08:27

Default (52) Leonard Claude Jones TF/200120 Lance Corp 4th Bn, Royal Sussex Regt

52nd of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath to die in WW1.

Leonard was born in to Joseph and Fanny Jones in Exton, Rutland in 1895 where his father ran a grocer’s shop. Sometime between 1905 when his youngest sister was born and 1911 they moved to Haywards Heath and lived in Sussex Road, Leonard at 15 was a gardener’s boy while his father was working as a farm bailiff.

Leonard went abroad to the Balkans on 8 August 1915, moving on to Palestine and was killed in action on 4 Nov 1917. He was buried at Beersheba War Cemetery, grave G. 60. He was 22. His parents had moved to Battersea by then and were living at 119 Stormont Road. His father (in the Army records as Josiah) was paid Leonard’s outstanding pay of £24 1d and £14 10s War Gratuity.

On 21 December 1917 the Sussex Agricultural Express printed this:

DEATH OF LANCE CORPORAL JONES
Mr & Mrs J Jones, late of Western Road, have received the following letter from Captain Stuart K. Reid, Royal Sussex Regiment :- “I am writing as Officer Commanding ‘A’ Company, to offer you my most sincere sympathy in the death of your son Lance Corporal Jones, who was killed in action on 4th November 1917. He was buried peacefully after the battle. Your son will be a great loss to me and the Company. He was one of my best Lance Corporals, and always did his work splendidly. I offer you and your family my deepest sympathy.”

Second-Lieutenant Percival Young also wrote extending his sympathy, and added “Your son was a Lance Corporal in my Platoon for a very long time. He died quite painlessly. I buried him under the crest of the hill he had helped to capture. He was liked and trusted by all and will be greatly missed in his Company. I hope you will find a little comfort in the fact that he died fighting bravely for his country.”

Before joining up Lance-Corporal Jones worked in the gardens at Franklyns and Sandrocks. He went through the Gallipoli campaign and met his death in the Palestine fighting.