Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 26-05-23, 12:32

Default Ancestry DNA notifications as a manager

I manage about four DNA results for family and friends. I’m no longer receiving notification messages when a match makes contact. A neighbour, whose results I manage, came round to mine on Wednesday as he’d had an email from Ancestry from a match. It was addressed to me, using my name, but I haven’t received it. Same happened with my daughters matches a few weeks ago. Any ideas?
Old 27-05-23, 03:20

Sorry, no idea, Marg, except that by running an internet search on "no longer receiving notification messages when a match makes contact on Ancestry" I ran across a mention of being able to hook up your Facebook and your Ancestry accounts (news to me!).

How do Facebook and Ancestry work together?

It's only a wild hypothesis, of course, but I can imagine a scenario where Facebook and Ancestry talking to each other might discombobulate your profile on one or the other and send your emails to the wrong place. If that's got nothing to do with you, just ignore me... but I hope you find a solution soon.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 27-05-23, 08:50

I have in the past found that messages have gone to the email address of the account I manage, and I have not received notification.

This has not been a problem.... except on my aunt's account. I cannot remember her password, the email address is defunct, and she has been dead for three years. So I have no idea whether anyone has tried to contact her direct.
Old 03-06-23, 14:28

Today I had a message from the uncle of one of my son’s dna matches. I manage it. The niece had previously sent me a message and then deleted it so don’t know what it said.

Problem is that my connection is a bit sensitive so am a bit reluctant to reply to the uncle.

I don’t seem to be getting many messages these days.
Old 03-06-23, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
Today I had a message from the uncle of one of my son’s dna matches. I manage it. The niece had previously sent me a message and then deleted it so don’t know what it said.

Problem is that my connection is a bit sensitive so am a bit reluctant to reply to the uncle.

I don’t seem to be getting many messages these days.
I’ve still not managed to work out what the problem is
Old 05-06-23, 10:06

Don't want to cause gossip within the family for my half siblings. My tree is private but son did dna test which I manage as he doesn't have a subscription.

As niece deleted message to me I wonder if she has already found the connection from her mother or uncle who I was in contact with initially.
Old 06-06-23, 22:23

I'm thinking of getting a DNA test for my son, which I'll manage.

Am I right in thinking he has to have an Ancestry registration separate from mine, but doesn't need a paid subscription?

If he needs to register, could we give my email address, or does it have to be a different one?
Old 07-06-23, 06:35

Yes, my husband has tested but you can't use the same email, he is not computer literate so I set up a separate one.
Old 07-06-23, 16:12

OK, I'll do that, thanks!
Old 14-07-23, 10:13

If you use gmail you can sort of have 1 email but it looks different to ancestry.

ie myemail @ gmail
myemail+son @ gmail
myemail+dad @ gmail

and they will all go to myemail @ gmail.

I've done this for all the accounts I manage. It does mean you might get 5 of the same email which is sent to your 5 accounts but that way you will see all emails.