Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-03-15, 15:52

Default A quick moan

I have recently been looking at my Kemp ancestors from Belton Rutland. It should be straight forward I thought. They like to give all their children names that start with E. They don't move about much. They leave wills ...

I was happily following Emily Esther Kemp until I found her on the 1880 census in New York as sister-in-law to Eleanor Fry born England 1846. One small problem I
did not have sister Eleanor on my tree so back to the drawing board.

A couple of hours later I think I have cracked it. 1851, the family is in Northhampton mistranscribed as Hemp, in1861 she is a visitor in Bow in London with a different family, in 1871 she is with some of her siblings, but not her parents, family transcribed as Kamp and in 1881 she is in New York as Mrs. Fry. Some people just don't want to be found|

Last edited by anne fraser; 22-03-15 at 11:39.
Old 22-03-15, 11:48

Oh Anne, we've all been there! I couldn't find a gt x lots grandmother for ages. Her name and surname were very common so although I knew she'd been widowed, finding a second marriage was impossible. Finally tracked her down through one of her granddaughters who happened to be visiting on census night - the old lady's surname was changed as of course she'd married again and been widowed again between censuses. She didn't want to be found as she recorded her granddaughter as "visitor" instead of granddaughter.

Some folk just refuse to be on censuses at all.

My great x 2 grandfather, imaginatively named William Williams, has 5 different but plausible birthplaces on 5 censuses, 3 possible baptisms (his age on the census varies) and he and his second wife have clearly decided to disappear after 1901. Not on 1911 census, no likely registered deaths and no burials!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire