Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 04-11-14, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
So this is her in 1891? (followed a link from an ancestry tree)
8 Trebawnog Rd, Llantrisant, Glamorgan
Janet Hopkins Head W 43 Glamorganshire
Morgan L Porter Boarder M 33 Coal Haulier Breckonshire
Martha J Do Daur (sic) M 26(?) Glamorganshire
Eliza J Do Daur S 3 Do

And there is a birth reg Jul-Sep 1887 Pontypridd (also linked to from that ancestry tree.) Did she really look 19 when she got married?!
That's Elizabeth Jane and her parents. Took me ages to track them down. These newspaper extracts might help explain why the Morgan Porter's full name got dropped from the marriage certificate.

Husband, wife and lodger: Shocking revelations at Porth

Family Troubles in the Rhondda

As to her age, who knows? I was quite shocked when I saw that she could only have been 13/14 but the 1911 census gives her age as 24 but fudges the length of the marriage to 9 years. Perhaps the Registrar had started his New Year's Eve celebrations early.
Old 04-11-14, 07:23
Administrator

Quote:
The Lewises are listed at 3 Morgan Street.
Ah, you said Terrace in the opening post. I suppose it's just a coincidence there was a Rees family next door?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-11-14, 08:03

Sorry, the address on the marriage certificate is Morgan Street not Terrace. Apologies.

I can't see a Rees family living next door to Martha Jane Lewis and family in the 1901 census. There is the Clapp family at 2 Morgan Street and a Jane Jones plus numerous boarders at 4 Morgan Street.

I had noted the 1899 death of Arthur Rees (1stQ 11a page 280) but wanted a bit more evidence before I forked out for the death certificate. I've come across so many "fudges" with this particular branch of my family (c.f. Elizabeth's Jane age at marriage, amendment to her father's name) that it's difficult to be precise perhaps I should just bite the bullet and pay the money to see what's recorded on Alfred's certificate.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-11-14, 10:59
Administrator

Quote:
I can't see a Rees family living next door to Martha Jane Lewis and family in the 1901 census.
You won't, because the Rees family I was looking at were at 4 Morgan Terrace as I thought your family were at 3 Morgan Terrace!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-11-14, 12:58

Sorry!
Old 05-11-14, 10:38

Quote:
So, could it be that Alfred and Phebe split up soon after the 1881 census and Alfred went off to Glamorgan and had a son Thomas by another woman, or got together with another woman who already had a son Thomas, and Thomas took his surname?
Except that he doesn't have a family with him in 1891.
I suppose you could get the 1899 death cert to see whether it helps at all.
With this side of my family, nothing surprises me any more I've bitten the bullet and ordered the death certificate - once received, I'll come back and report the information it contains.
Old 05-11-14, 11:12
Administrator

*fingers crossed that it helps*

Old 13-11-14, 13:43

The death certificate states that Alfred Rees died on February 11th 1899 at 28 Catherine Street, Abercynon, Llanwonno, Mountain Ash. He was 47 years of age and his occupation was a Collier. The cause of death was "syncope due to dilatation of the heart" and the information was derived from a certificate received from Rees Jenkins Rhys, Coroner for Glamorgan, from the inquest held on February 13th 1899.

I found this newspaper report which covers his sudden death Abercynon - para starting "A very sad occurrence...." . The newspaper report states that he came from Fishguard, Pembrokeshire and that is where his wife (Phebe) and family reside.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this Alfred Rees is "my" Alfred Rees as this Alfred's son Thomas is far too young.

As has already been pointed out, the other Alfred Rees (born 1850 Neath) married to Mary Cousins is still going strong in 1911.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 13-11-14, 14:37
Administrator

Thanks for posting this. It does look unlikely that he is your Alfred Rees but there weren't that many of them around! I'll have another look and see if I can come up with anything.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-11-14, 09:40
Administrator

I've been looking, but not found anything to help.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update