Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-02-20, 12:34
Administrator

Seems likely.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-02-20, 20:06

I just came back to say I can't now find anything definitive to say Indiana belongs to my Thomas and Elizabeth. Whether I have before I don't know.

There are only 5 children that could belong to my couple and the other Thomas/Elizabeth nee Wilson. My Thomas Mathews, George, Fanny, Mary Ann and Indiana. Indiana is the only one where an occupation is recorded.

I hadn't seen Fanny and Mary Ann until recently so they must not have come out with the first release of records on FMP.
Old 23-02-20, 22:44
Administrator

But surely the info in your post #10 shows that Indiana belongs to your Thomas?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-02-20, 02:25

I thought so, but wasn't sure if it was enough proof. George Clarke was a witness for several Chill family events, so I would say they are at least very close friends.

I've spent the morning looking at Samuel Chill, father of Indiana's husband. I have no idea if there is a relationship yet, although his wife Sarah, no surname, seems a likely candidate. Samuel's fourth child was baptised the same day as Thomas Mathews was so they definitely knew each other. The other interesting thing, to me, is that Samuel's oldest child also had the middle name Mathew and I haven't come across that name much, especially not in India.

As an interest point Samuel had a very comprehensive will, detailing exactly who got what of his possessions. Samuel had a lot of weapons and I have to wonder why one son missed out on any of them. Indiana's husband received a gun, sword and dagger, followed by a lot of religious books, followed by various wine glasses. I do wonder if the order of these had meaning.

Sarah, the mother of Samuel's children was about 15 when she had her first child. Samuel was about 26 years older than her so about 41. My children are teenagers, that seems so wrong and I know it did happen back then.