Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 14-07-12, 09:29
Administrator

Default UK Census Online

UK Census Online:
http://www.ukcensusonline.com/index.php

It belongs to the same company as The Genealogist site, and presumably uses the same census transcriptions as them, but you can do a free search, which will show occupation and birthplace (as well as name, age, and county). The free search will only search on given name and surname but you can use wildcards or choose the name variants option.

An annual subscription for census only is just £54.95 and for census plus BMD Index is just £69.95, which look pretty good value. There is an annual sub for BMD indexes only which is £39.95 but I don't think that would be worth taking up. (Given the name of the site, I doubt that they are expecting to sell many BMD-only subs.) There are also monthly, quarterly, and six-monthly subs but they work out quite a bit more expensive over a year than the annual ones. Details on here:
http://www.ukcensusonline.com/transaction/products.php

Must be worth a try if only to see if any of those missing rellies turn up! Though the free search is pretty limited and I have to say I can't find some of my rellies on there who I have already found on other sites.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-06-18, 14:40
Administrator

This site seems to have been merged into The Genealogist website now. Which is a shame, as the free search on UK Census Online used to show occupations and birthplace but the one on The Genealogist doesn't.

Edit - it does still show occupation if you search "all years" but if you then narrow it down to a particular census year, it doesn't show them.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-06-18, 15:41
Administrator

That's extremely annoying. I used that site a lot.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010