Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-02-10, 14:47
Administrator

Isabella's death:

Deaths Mar 1885
Haldon Isabella 59 Leeds 9b 310

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-02-10, 15:01

Oooh I dozed off on the sofa.

You've found a lot Merry.

Bidston

I think you seem to be jumping around a bit on this line of your research. Try to go into more depth which what you do know. Go backwards from yourself leaving no stone unturned. Look at the neighbours on census always, as Merry has noticed, Isabella is next door. Always note the witnesses on marriage certs, they may be close family.

Never assume anything - assume = ass-u-me.

Sorry if I'm teaching an old dog new tricks so to speak but I've forgotten how long you said you have been researching your tree.
Old 06-02-10, 15:13

oh my goodness, i think you have found them, details please

i was going to suggest should i look for the sisters but you beat me to it, again, thank you

where are they living
Old 06-02-10, 15:26

marg i accept all your suggestions, have only been doing this a month, am so grateful for your expertise

never even thought about next door neighbours

i am an old dog but you are not stepping on any toes here, am fumbling away in the dark, so happy to have come across you guys, experience is everything

to go backwards as you suggest starts with me paul david girling, father albert henry girling, grandfather robert girling, the mystery man,his wife, grandmother mary jones, her father squire jones, all for definite so far, his parents thomas jones and elizabeth jones ( haldane, alden, halden, aldon) her mother according to 1851 census elizabeth haldane - age 67, pauper

hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask me questions as i probably have more info but need you to identify whats important, many many thanks
Old 06-02-10, 15:28

bye the way, you seem to have access to many things i cant find, what would you suggest i subscribe to in order to further my knowledge
Old 06-02-10, 15:30

For some reason I was under the impression that you had been researching for longer. I thought you mentioned 30 years in your previous thread.

Must have misunderstood.

Do you have Ancestry so that you can read the census details?
Old 06-02-10, 15:48

Elizabeth Jones death is a bit tricky.

In 1861 she was living in Hunslet registration district.

In 1871 Martha and Squire are living in Bramley district.

Death in 1861 (Mar qtr 9b 227 - Hunslet) no age at death listed in the index as this wasn't done until 1866.

Death in 1868 ( Dec qtr 9b 259 - Bramley) age 55 (age is a bit out)

edit:

Just checked the National Burial Index. The death in 1861 is for a 60 year old buried 17 March 1861 in Hunslet Cemetery, Leeds. (so not yours)

Probably the 1868 one is her.

Always order certs from the GRO or the local offices and never pay more than £7. Other sites are a rip off.
Old 06-02-10, 15:51

hi marg, no, what i meant was the mysterious robert girling came to my attention about 30 years ago when my old man was alive but i just tried to get stuff out of the family

then about 1990 i tried again and went to the reference libraries in birkenhead, wallasey and liverpool, mostly looking at directories

i also remember the mormon records coming available but only in certain places, i think my cousin and myself booked consecutive hours at the library in northwich, if i remember right, it was such hard work then, i gave up after a while

were i live now we have had 'who do you think you are' on t.v. australian version, so i thought i would try the internet and was surprised to find all these great forums full of really helpful people. so that was a month ago and i have made great progress on some lines of the family because of people like you, that's were i am up to now, thanks
Old 06-02-10, 15:55

hi marg, hunslett, stanningley, bramley are more or less the same place, they appear constantly in all mentions, pudsey as well, if you look on the map they are almost in walking distance from each other
Old 06-02-10, 16:02
Administrator

Hmmm... do you think Haldane / Alden / Aldon are variations of the surname Holden?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update