Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-02-10, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
He had five wives, all legal - four of them died in childbirth
However did he get the 5th wife? I'd have run a mile.
Old 05-02-10, 08:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
However did he get the 5th wife? I'd have run a mile.
That's what I always think! Even my relative who married him and died in childbirth after four children must have thought twice, despite only being the third wife - both the previous two had died at their first labour within a year of marriage Same happened with the fourth wife.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-02-10, 08:45

'Morning All!

OC - Right as usual! My James started life as a tailor then progressed(?) to Retailer of Beer then Licensed Victualler. So I take your point that James the Beer Seller may not appear in a Directory!
As to cousins etc with the same name - I just wish I knew! I have James' parents and half siblings but nothing concrete. Although others researching the family have taken a flying leap of faith with IGI and got back to 1700! Perhaps I'll have a look at this new James and his witnesses to see if there might be a connection.

Kit - My James father (James the coachman!) did remarry and I have the names of his children from that marriage, no other James. I have nothing on him after that so if he may married a third time......

Merry - Sometimes I wish I could disown the Butchers - some of my cousins could be the Butchers off EastEnders! (apologies if any of them read this!) Unfortunately James grandson Joseph had the cheek to marry an Ann Butcher (no relation) ....... So double Butchers for me! Luckily none on that side are named James!

Maggie - I too, keep looking for James and Mary Ann but no joy. There doesn't seem to be a likely death for Mary Ann either although there are a few possibles for James....

Thanks again for all your interest and help.