Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 02-04-16, 12:11

Default Jacob Brazill and Lucy Robarts

Jacob Brazill and Lucy Roberts

Jacob Brazill (also Brasill, Brazille, Brazeal, Brazel, Brazalle, Brazon, Brazen, etc) and Lucy Robarts were born about 1685-90, place unknown

They married in 19 Jan 1716 at St Mary, Rotherhithe, Surrey.

Their children, all baptised at St James with Pockthorpe, Norwich, Norfoilk were -
Elizabeth baptised 1718 ?, buried 23 Oct 1730
Henry 2 Aug 1720 -1720
Mary 7 May 1721 - 1723
Jacob 21 Nov 1722 - 1730
Mary 19 Jan 1723 -
John 9 Jan 1726 -
James 24 Sep 1727 - 1797
Nathaniel 30 Nov 1729 -
Martha 21 Nov 1731 - 1738
Elizabeth 17 Nov 1734 -

Link to son James - http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...=jacob+brazill

Later family connections lead me to believe that Jacob Brazill was in some kind of maritime occupation, or a merchant, and had connections or relationships with tradesmen in maritime work in Rotherhithe and Deptford. The Brazills seem to have resided in both London/Southwark and Norwich and Great Yarmouth.

Deaths, wills, headstones unknown
Possible burial for Lucy, widow, 14 Nov 1772, St Michael Colonsay, Norwich

Last edited by marquette; 04-04-16 at 01:03. Reason: corrections and additions to children
Old 03-04-16, 14:10

My eye was drawn by the BRAZILL surname as that name is in my brother-in-law's tree. There is no connection but checking it out I noticed some discrepancies. These may be typos but the baptism date for James is in fact the burial date for Jacob born 1722 - see below, top of rh page.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...598&cc=1416598

James baptism is 24 Sep 1727 - see below, about a third down rh page.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...598&cc=1416598

The surname looks more like BRAZEN but imo undoubtedly the same couple.

Henry's date is his burial

Jacob & Lucy also have John 1726 & Nathaniel 1729 & 2 Elizabeths, one bur. 1730 & the othe bap. 1734.

Doesn't help you going back but hopefully tidies things up for you.
Old 03-04-16, 23:12

Hi Glen

Thanks for the updates and corrections - sometimes its hard to tell whether ancestry has picked up baptisms or burials. I think I will have to page through the familysearch images which I have not seen before. I knew familysearch had some images available, but they are rarely places I need.

Also the name variations do my head in. And I know there is another Brazill family around Quainton Bucks, who may or may not have some connection and some in Gloucestershire also - a few strays of mine drifted over that way and also to Scotland. There also seems to be Brazills in Ireland.

From a handwritten letter held by NSW State Records (1834, by Samuel Custins Brazill) I know that those of my family who could write spelt their name BRAZILL, not with an "E" or an "S".

Off to make corrections to my tree - oh, if they had a son Nathaniel, there is also a baptism for Jacob son of Nathaniel and Mary in 1714, so there is even more to be done.

And a 1693 burial for William Brazill in Bermondsey could do with further investigation

Di
Old 04-04-16, 01:56

I have been looking at the Norfolk images and wonder if this might be Jacob's baptism.
The image is very faded but the name variation is within range

Name Jacob Breasinhead
Gender Male
Christening Date 25 Feb 1693
Christening Place SAINT PETER SOUTHGATE,NORWICH,NORFOLK,ENGLAND
Father's Name Nathaniell Breasinhead
Mother's Name Elizebeth

Also a burial on 14 April 1755 for Jacob Brazen, but I cannot work out which church.

Edit - I found the image for the baptism, it looks like BROASSINHOOD to me

Last edited by marquette; 04-04-16 at 05:18.
Old 04-04-16, 20:04

That's my brother-in-law's line starting in Bucks & ending in London/Kent. It's so long since I've done anything on it that I'm a bit hazy on the details.

In addition to Nathaniel & Mary, there's also a William & Elizabeth baptising children in Norwich.
Old 04-04-16, 21:35

Well, maybe there is some connection through the London/Kent area - I have marriages at St Dunstans in the East, Lee in Kent, St Nicholas Deptford as well as Rotherhithe and Bermondsey, Norwich and Yarmouth.

A later Jacob was a ship captain in the international trade and ended up as Governor of the Trinity Almshouses in London. His brother was also a captain in the coastal trade, up and down the east coast of England, until he and his ship and crew were captured by the French during the war (1807).

I will definitely be trying to follow up on Nathaniel and Mary and William and Elizabeth.
Old 05-04-16, 12:28

It's so long ago that I sent his pedigree to him by post. his tree isn't on this computer. The only person I could remember was Joseph Brazell & the family came from Hogshaw. The reason I remember the latter is that at the time I was doing long walks in that part of the county & the farms still exist.

Checking online I now remember that Joseph married in London & had a daughter Sophia Ellen who married Walter UNWIN & ended up in Essex. The Brazell family were established at Hogshaw certainly from the mid 1700s & probably earlier.

There are a couple of Thomas & Joseph BRAZELLs having parralel families in the area.