Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-01-13, 20:56

Yes, that's right. Scavenger, dustman, contractor, owner of a brickfields.
Old 08-01-13, 21:08
Administrator

So it's possible Edward's older son, John (15 in 1841) could be the father of the other James? (though to be fair, he is a bit younger on later censuses!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-01-13, 21:16
Administrator

No, that's not right because when John Newman married Elizabeth Nash in 1851 he said his father was William Newman a tailor.

It was good whilst it lasted! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-01-13, 21:36

Edward's son John (b. 1824) married Ann. They had a son James in 1855 - a bit too old to be the one who married Emma Witchalls in 1882 (he was born 1861).

There is a couple of James Newmans born 1861/62 with father John but I can't tie them to Edward.

Time for bed, methinks - my head's spinning! Thanks for looking.
Old 09-01-13, 06:08
Administrator

Have you found Louisa Newman b June 1883 in 1891?

Old 09-01-13, 06:19
Administrator

I keep goimg back to the one aged 18 in 1901 who is living with her step-sister, Eliza Clarrage. I'm sure that's spelled wrong, but I can't find her anywhere else (either of them lol)

Old 09-01-13, 07:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I keep goimg back to the one aged 18 in 1901 who is living with her step-sister, Eliza Clarrage. I'm sure that's spelled wrong, but I can't find her anywhere else (either of them lol)
That Louisa is 19 in 1901, not 18. I was looking at her yesterday but I didn't really get anywhere.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-01-13, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Yes, that's right. Scavenger, dustman, contractor, owner of a brickfields.
In Henry Meyhew's 'London Labour and the London Poor', he covers dustman and scavengers. He noted that sons would work with their fathers before taking over the work and that they tended to 'marry' the daughters of other dustmen and scavengers.

Here are a some of quotes.

1 'Yes, they're all married, as far as I know, that is, they live together as man and wife, though they're not very particular, certainly, about the ceremony. For one dustman that is married, 20 live with women, but remain constant with them.'

2 'That there Sall of mine's a stunner. No, we ain't married 'zactly. I sticks to Sall and Sall sticks to I.'

Also, Meyhew observes that the finer dust collected was mixed with clay for making bricks.
Old 09-01-13, 17:59

I did find a Louisa Newman in Bethnal Green in 1891 with her mother Elizabeth, but she's 10 not 7/8 and father seems to be Joseph not James. Can't spot a marriage or death.

Edward is listed in Mayhew as a dust contractor. He (or his dust heaps!) also get a mention in a Sanitary Report on Bethnal Green 'The nuisances which are most prominent in the parish are, the nightmens yards in Digby Street, in Turk Street, Tyssen Street and by the canal in Ann Place' - which is where the Newmans lived, the equivalent of being above the shop!

I particularly like this picture of the dust heaps at what is now King's Cross (where Edward was born) - towering over the houses!
http://www.wellcomecollection.org/wh...soho-1854.aspx
Old 09-01-13, 18:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I did find a Louisa Newman in Bethnal Green in 1891 with her mother Elizabeth, but she's 10 not 7/8 and father seems to be Joseph not James. Can't spot a marriage or death.
I think this is the baptism for that Louisa - Louisa Martha Newman born Dec 17 1880 baptised 16 Jan 1881 Bethnal Green St Jude, parents Joseph & Elizabeth Newman of 15 Northampton Street, Boot Riveter.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update