Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-02-14, 08:53
tenterfieldjulie

Di, I too have found Trove invaluable and wish I had looked at it years ago for Peter's grandparents marriage. On their marriage cert it just said she was born Limerick but on the marriage notice it said she was 3rd daughter of Patrick O'Connor of Glenastas, Limerick. I also found the funeral notices are an amazing source, as they invite their friends to family funerals - and list siblings etc etc .. Through funeral notices I found that Ellen O'Connor had more family in Australia than in Ireland .. and I had been looking for 30 years... With a common name like that I could never have connected them without Trove. Julie
Old 18-07-14, 07:46

HI Anne, The Beckingsale family your talking about is my family - there is myself and two older brothers still alive - we all grew up in Castlemaine - Our father John Royston Beckingsale did our family tree which is with my bother Anthony - kind regards Jillian (Tilly)
Old 18-07-14, 08:00

Hi Marquette - you are right my family were wine and spirit merchants - I am Jillian the youngest of four children to John Royston Beckingsale that inherited the family business from his father Royston Beckingsale who was married to Myrtle - they Beckingsale family built the family business in 1862 at Castlemaine - regards Jillian Jones (Tilly) nee Beckingsale
Old 20-07-14, 11:04

I think we must be very distantly related Tilly. My grandfather was Ernest Horne who was born in Moreton in Marsh. He ran a branch of the family grocery business in Bristol England for many years. By my time the grocery shops in Moreton had been sold but one of my mother's cousins still ran a seed and coal delivery service. It is good to know that there are still Horne descendants in Australia. The English family became strong supporters of temperance though the earliest Horne's I've found ran a pub and grew barley for beer making. My great great grandmother Emma Horne who had been a governess started a school in Moreton and her daughters, my grandfather's sisters ran that for many years. They were certainly an adventurous family another of Selina and Louisa's brothers became a missionary to native Americans and a sister trained as a nurse at the Florence nightingale nursing school in London.

I still live in Bristol.