Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 25-05-14, 16:48
Administrator

Just found this:

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette 03 February 1827

Died. - On Thursday last, upwards of 70 years of age, Mr. Edward Peacock, of this town, formerly a farmer at Oakley.

My feeling is, this is the husband of Ann Smith, but I don't have any proof yet.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-05-14, 17:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Just found this:

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette 03 February 1827

Died. - On Thursday last, upwards of 70 years of age, Mr. Edward Peacock, of this town, formerly a farmer at Oakley.

My feeling is, this is the husband of Ann Smith, but I don't have any proof yet.

I guess after the bank holiday you would be able to get a copy of his will from Bedfordshire Archives? Didn't they send you a copy of another will by email really quickly recently?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-05-14, 17:46
Administrator

There's this too:

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette 12 February 1831

Under the Will of the late Mr. Edward Peacock, senior, Bedford. Valuable Freehold Property (Land Tax Redeemed,) St. Paul's Bedford, to be sold by auction, by John Odell.

(By order of the executors,) at the Rose Inn, High Street, Bedford on Monday February 2?, 1831 at six o'clock in the evening, (subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced) In one Lot, All that Compact Freehold Estate, situate in Queen's Head Lane, adjoining the High Street, St. Paul's, Bedford, late the property of Mr Edward Peacock deceased.
The Estate comprises a genteel dwelling house, brick, stud, plaster and slated; containing a lofty sitting room and parlour in front, good kitchen, large pantry and an excellent cellar on the ground floor; four good bedchambers with convenient closets; and three excellent roomy square ceiled attics; a small garden at the back enclosed from the yard by a brick wall; adjoining the same is a good stable and gig house, wood barn etc. with an excellent chamber above; a neat flower garden in front, the length of the house. The above is in excellent repair having been built within a few years, late in the occupation of Mrs Ann Peacock deceased. Also a large yard and well timbered malting attached, having a good lead cistern that wets eight quarters and chambers over the same; now in the occupation of Messrs Poole and Huelat (?) at the annual rent of 25l
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next.
The estate has a frontage of forty-four feet, is well situated and adapted for and trade that requires room.
The purchaser of the estate, (if the occupier having children) will be entitled to the benefit and privilege of the Harpur Free School, and also to an exhibition of 80l per annum for four years, to either of the Universities.
May be viewed by applying on the premises; and for further particulars apply to Mr. Day, solicitor, St. Neots or the auctioneer, Bedford.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-05-14, 17:53
Administrator

There's another ad for the sale of all the household goods. (who needs 30 pairs of sheets?? )

There's a death duty index entry for Ann in 1831 but fmp won't let me open the image to see if the exor is recorded.

I can't find a burial for Ann either and that's the bit I really wanted - to establish her age.

Old 25-05-14, 18:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I guess after the bank holiday you would be able to get a copy of his will from Bedfordshire Archives? Didn't they send you a copy of another will by email really quickly recently?
Yes, they did and yes I could. I can't decide if I really need it.....Actually it might be better to get Ann's will as there's a chance she might leave something to her extended family if she didn't have children.

Old 25-05-14, 18:35
Administrator

Quote:

There's a death duty index entry for Ann in 1831 but fmp won't let me open the image to see if the exor is recorded.
It opens for me and it is Intestates.
September
Peacock Ann
The Administrator is either Jno or Jas Smith, Bedford. Vol 2 p 281.
Attached Images
File Type: png jnojas.PNG (14.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 25-05-14, 19:04
Administrator

Thanks Kate.

Can you see a burial?

Old 25-05-14, 19:17
Administrator

Quote:
Can you see a burial?
No.