Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 04-11-11, 22:50
Administrator

I would swear that they used to have digital images for the early PR's for Leyton parish, because I kept going back to look and see how far forward they had got with it, but now they say they don't hold the PR's for that parish and so they can't make digital images available for it, although they have microfiches of those PR's.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-11-11, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Well its always the same isn't it really the web developer probably went home this afternoon and was very proud of their xforms and enhanced viewer programs they've uploaded and built into the site without changing the search functionality or the look and user experience of the website, and obviously didn't do enough testing to see if the enhanced viewer actually works (with most browsers or cookie functions (the message about cookies is rubbish by the way), which you usually do when asking people to pay for something, and other stuff but on top of that it doesn't work in any shape or form.

Well hopefully they'll come in on Monday to find some very disgruntled emails of people that were hoping for a little bit more for their money and their world of smugness in the world of HTML program compatibilities will be shattered.

Maggie, please don't forget that the web developer has to play by the boss's rules.

It happens all the time that the poor programmers are agonized in the knowledge that the work needs further testing before being put into production, but are told to close their eyes and go. And that said, it's also true that software systems are unimaginably complicated, and even when you do finish all the testing you can never really predict exactly what's going to happen when you release the changes in the real world, because your test environment can never truly replicate that.

But I suspect in this case, since they are charging for something that used to be free, that the rush to mediocrity can most likely be traced to a source much higher up than the lowly web developer...

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 05-11-11 at 02:51.
Old 05-11-11, 01:47

Think I'll wait until it's all sorted. Seems odd to launch it on a Friday.
Old 05-11-11, 07:39
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Maggie, please don't forget that the web developer has to play by the boss's rules.

It happens all the time that the poor programmers are agonized in the knowledge that the work needs further testing before being put into production, but are told to close their eyes and go. And that said, it's also true that software systems are unimaginably complicated, and even when you do finish all the testing you can never really predict exactly what's going to happen when you release the changes in the real world, because your test environment can never truly replicate that.

But I suspect in this case, since they are charging for something that used to be free, that the rush to mediocrity can most likely be traced to a source much higher up than the lowly web developer...
Possibly but in my experience of web developing the bosses don't get down to that level to be honest. The project is entirely in the hands of the hands on people who are trained rather than the management.

But we are dealing with a 'council' here so I expect the organisation is a bit different to private companies.

The functionality of the site is very unwealdy but it always has been.
Old 05-11-11, 10:32
Administrator

Ooooh, they seem to have fixed it!

Old 05-11-11, 10:45
Administrator

So, I've finally managed to look at the image of what I thought was my 4xg-grandparents' marriage entry, and it seems it isn't them after all. Back to square one...

Old 05-11-11, 11:47

Well it's good news that it appears to be fixed - not such good news for you!

I assume that once you've bought a sub that how you view the images becomes more obvious? I still can't decide whether to try it for a day .... OH has so many Essex Ancestors there would be plenty of options open for me!
Old 05-11-11, 12:19
maggie_4_7

Oh go for it its only £5 for 24 hours.

Going back to look myself I checked it about 11am today no change.
Old 05-11-11, 12:24

I'm very thankful I haven't got Essex ancestors.
Old 05-11-11, 12:44
maggie_4_7

Yes it is fixed.