Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 14-01-20, 07:18

Default Can we search by address

in the 1861 census?

If so how do we do it?
Old 14-01-20, 07:54

The answer is yes, on FMP.

My lady however is not living at the address she was living at when she got married.
Old 14-01-20, 07:54
Administrator

On FMP - Click Search and then A-Z of record sets. Then enter 1861 in the search box and select 1861 Census. Then switch the toggle thing to Search for Address.

I'm never sure if this search only gives exact matches, so I never enter Road or Street etc in case it's Rd or St etc in the results; I just enter the street name and parish or town.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-01-20, 08:51

Thanks Merry. I entered the street name and street and it worked, even without a town. It gave me 4 different towns to choose from.

Neither person was at the address they said they lived at on the marriage register. However I don't understand why they lived somewhere (assumedly separately) on the 1861 census then both moved to separate addresses for when they got married. As they were both over 70 would anyone have cared if they were living together?

I thought I was so clever using the marriage address to find my lady.
Old 14-01-20, 08:59
Administrator

In my tree, even people who married within a week after the census were at different places on census night to the reported address on the marriage entry. In most cases they were living out of area, so if a church wedding, were making sure they didn't need to have the banns read in more than one church, thereby saving money.

Do you want to post up who you are looking for, or have you found them now?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-01-20, 11:00

No I haven't found them.

The first person is Hannah Eliza Jones, nee Gilbert b 1785 bap 1815 Bethnal Green St Matthew.

Her first husband is John Jones. I know nothing more about him, except her mother says he is living at Haybridge Middlesex in her will of 1840. I suspect there are no children.

John dies at some point as Hannah married Samuel Davis, a widower, in May 1861, Tower Hamlets, St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney.

There isn't much to go on.
Old 14-01-20, 12:26
Administrator

Is her mother's will a PCC one? I've never heard of Haybridge Middlesex.

Old 14-01-20, 20:29

It was a London will Mary Gilbert, widow of Samuel who died 1840.

Mary Gilbert

This is probably the most helpful will I've ever seen, except I would love to know how she almost doubled what her husband left her when he died in 1822.

I've never heard of Haybridge anywhere and google thinks it might be in Worcester but I think it is just a school.
Old 14-01-20, 20:42
Administrator

Your link doesn't work for me. Was probate also 1840 and where was she of? Then I can find it by searching Ancestry!

Old 14-01-20, 20:48
Administrator

I've looked at four PCC wills proved in the 1840s but I can't find one written in 1840, so am not sure which one she is! Two of the will are pretty long so I don't know if I want to wade through them when none seem to be the right one!