Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 30-06-15, 11:45
Administrator

Default Criminal records - findmypast

Information on TNA's news page, but I haven't found an announcement from FMP specifically about this yet although I know they are having a Criminals Month.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...he-first-time/

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/searc...ment-1770-1935

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-06-15, 11:51
Administrator

I've found a lot of documents about my 4xg-uncle William Bowskill on there; very interesting reading. I assume they have only just been added as I haven't seen them before.

Old 30-06-15, 13:07

Wonderful, Kate! Now they have added more records I have finally proved my theory that the 14 year-old Henry Pond convicted aged 14 of stealing was my great-great-grandfather who latterly called himself Henry William Bond.

I had some of his criminal records, but this one proves it to my satisfaction:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...om2%2f01048877

He is the top entry. It says he was born in Bishopsgate, which is correct.

Apparently he didn't reoffend, and he became quite a respectable, comfortably off coffee house keeper.
Old 30-06-15, 16:06
maggie_4_7

Ahh found two court appearances for my maternal grandfather in 1923 he was found not guilty and discharged on both occasions.

Trial dates 21st March 1923 and 9th October 1923 - methinks he talked a good story on those two occasions

My mother was just 2 years old in 1923, in fact she was born on the 19th March 1921, he also had a year old daughter and 5 other children, 4 sons and 1 other daughter born between 1908 and 1918 he would have had another but a daughter died in 1915 while he was fighting in France. He went on to have 3 more children.

His 9 lives finally ended on 8 April 1940 at the grand old age of 52 when he collapsed and died.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-06-15 at 16:25.
Old 30-06-15, 16:34
Administrator

So, my 4-g-uncle William Bowskill was found unfit to stand trial in 1848 as he was "deaf and dumb" and couldn't communicate with the court. The judge ruled that he was insane and should be held at Her Majesty's Pleasure. He was held in Nottingham County Gaol where his behaviour was very good, and the doctor would not certify him as insane as he showed no signs of insanity. There was a petition from his home village, signed by the magistrates, rector, curate, church wardens etc saying that he had been "urged" to commit his offence by the behaviour of his victim and others, and asking for him to be freed as he was not dangerous, and the visiting justices sent it on to the Secretary of State asking for his release, but they got a reply saying he was unable to interfere in the case, and that if the prisoner was no longer insane, he should face trial for the original offence.

He was then transferred to Bethlem Hospital, then Fisherton House Asylum in Wiltshire, and finally to Broadmoor where he remained until his death in 1889 - more than 40 years after the offence (stabbing and wounding with intent). I wonder how long he would have served if the judge had not ruled him insane?

Old 02-07-15, 04:51

I found a lot of information on my various criminals. Sadly the amount of information was proportional to what I already knew.

My Humphrey Thorn did not rate a mention.

My 4g grandfather, George, had the papers for his death sentence being commuted to life transportation. I knew it happened but hadn't seen the paperwork before. I'm sure half of NSW (who have english backgrounds) are descended from or married into his family.
Old 02-07-15, 06:54

There's a transcript for Daniel Rapley, of the Shipley gang but he doesn't appear on the image! Have reported it. We visited Shipley last month and found the house left to Daniel's father James by OH's ancestor William.
Old 04-07-15, 18:42

Found another which only has a blank sheet of paper, so have reported that one too.