Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-09-09, 19:52

I think the Devon Records Office is quite modern compared to others (but I can't compare lol!)

I only got to looking at microfiche records and don't understand what UJ did with film reel.

I looked up the name of the parish in a ring binder and it gave me a list of what was to be found on each postcard-sized microfiche from the files.
Very easy to do.

Ann - I live in France so I have no option but to do most of my research by internet. I must admit that I was greatly relieved that someone as eminent as Merry admits to never having been into an RO though

Last edited by lozaras; 03-09-09 at 19:54.
Old 03-09-09, 20:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozaras View Post
I was greatly relieved that someone as eminent as Merry admits to never having been into an RO though
lol!!!!

I did go the 35 miles through mostly B roads to Dorchester but they had closed the RO for a one off special day whilst they tidied the records or something. Do you think they knew I was going to visit?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-09-09, 21:05

I made my first trip to the RO 2 months after I started researching but that was when the only thing online was the IGI.
Old 04-09-09, 11:48

Hi Sarah

I've never been to a Records Office before (although I wouldn't class myself as eminent as Merry ) but I've been to Kew twice lol.

I'm a member of the Devon Family History Society - are you? We've also got a Facebook group for the Society. Really must get to the Devon Records Office sometime soon, we keep saying we'll have a trip down there!
Old 04-09-09, 13:44
Administrator

Actually, I did once go to the Family History Centre in London and heaved the GRO ledgers about for a day once about 20 years ago, but I was so ignorant of what to look for I didn't find much!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-09-09, 15:56

I have:
  • dropped a reel on the floor
  • inserted a reel the wrong way round in an automatic machine, so masses of tape shoots out in all directions
  • BROKEN the tape (twice)
  • rested a heavy book on a fragile register
  • not understood the records I have been looking at
  • forgotten to note down where I found a reference
  • not dated my research, so I can't see a logical thread in my thoughts
  • made UNREADABLE notes, so it wasn't much point taking them in the first place
  • misunderstood simple instructions of every kind
  • not looked for the first born in every marriage a few weeks before the wedding
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc
But I love spending time in Record Offices and at least the dragons who used to terrify me when I started no longer breathe quite so many flames as they used to.
Old 04-09-09, 16:53
Administrator

The first time I went to Notts Archives one of the other people (a member of the public, not staff) told me off for not using the envelopes that the microfiches were stored in. But I was looking at the National Probate Calendar and it isn't in envelopes. I still hold a grudge against him!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update