Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 05-01-14, 00:07
tenterfieldjulie

Heavens OC I've heard that with piglets and lambs but never babies .. oh well it was an Aga I suppose lol
Old 05-01-14, 10:23

Although only a single birth as opposed to triplets, my grandmother gave birth to my uncle in 1913. He weighed 3lbs on the butcher's scales in a small town. Grandma always said Uncle Cecil was probably smaller as the butcher's scales always weighed more than they were supposed to.....lol

It was a very cold time of the year so Grandma wrapped Uncle Cecil in a sheep skin and tied him to her chest with her apron. She said every time he stopped breathing she just bounced him around a bit.....lol

He lived to well into his 80s, even though he was an asthmatic.
Old 05-01-14, 13:39
Administrator

In Victorian times it would seem hardly any triplets survived babyhood. There are quite a few reports of triplets being born in the papers, but a surprising number don't seem to have been registered for birth despite suggestions they were thriving in the newspaper reports.

The monarch gave a bounty of £3 or 3 guineas to poor families who had triplets, sometimes even when the babies had already died.

It was noted in one report that historically (this was written in the 1860s) the monarch only gave a bounty where triplets were all boys as they would be expected to serve in the army!!

I only found one example of quads mentioned in the paper, but they all died and so did the mother (reported as either puerperal fever or surprise and excitement). It was noted that the children died of 'congenital debility'.

Births Dec 1893
Keith Agnes Tynemouth 10b 272
Keith Elizabeth Tynemouth 10b 272
Keith Joseph Tynemouth 10b 271
Keith Thomas Leo Tynemouth 10b 272

Deaths Dec 1893 (>99%)

Keith Agnes 0 Tynemouth 10b 173
Keith Elizabeth 0 Tynemouth 10b 172
Keith Ellen 36 Tynemouth 10b 171
Keith Joseph 0 Tynemouth 10b 172
Keith Thomas Leo 0 Tynemouth 10b 172

To try and cheer myself up, I thought I'd look to see if I could find any triplets who survived to adulthood. I found these girls:

Births Sep 1875 (>99%)

SAYER Ethel Laurie Wandsworth 1d 552
SAYER Fanny Emma Wandsworth 1d 552
SAYER Gertrude Hamer Wandsworth 1d 552

who are together in 1881 and 1891.

I looked at numerous other families, but in every case all the children died before the age of one.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-14, 14:02
Administrator

Just like today when we say never trust what's written in the newspapers, there are lots of reports in the Victorian press of women who have had 30 or more children (and at least two couples who had more than 60 children together!!), women who didn't have their first child until they had been married 37 years or more, one woman who was supposed to have had 12 children in 20 months etc etc etc, so I don't know why I should trust the following:

Quote:
Exeter Flying Post 5th Sept 1896:

In Great Britain, France and Germany the ratio of multiple births is 13 twins per thousand and 100 triples and 8 quadruplets per 1,000,000 births.
I would presume they mean live births.

A registrar in Lancaster said (when reporting on recording the births of a set of triplets) that the last time he had seen triplets registered was some 12 or 14 years previously, but that they had died after a few days (as did the babies he was reporting on). I think that was in the 1870s from memory.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-14, 14:05

My aunt had triplets in the 1960s but only one survived long-term.
One was stillborn so no registration can be found.
She gave birth to 7 sons.
Old 05-01-14, 14:10

I tried Bath Georgian newspapers but could find no reports of triplets. My favourite twin names from my tree, Noah and Pharoah (Withers). They both survived to become coalminers.

When I was young there were a set of triplets in Bristol, Faith, Hope and Charity and a set of Quads who would be in their eighties now. During the three years I worked at Bristol maternity hospital we had two sets of quads, (one natural and one IVF) and several sets of triplets (mainly IVF). The hospital took in high risk pregnancies from the surrounding area. We would expect a couple of sets of twins a week.
Old 05-01-14, 15:12
Administrator

Quote:
Faith, Hope and Charity
Whilst I was trying to find Victorian surviving triplets I came across several sets called the above, including one set where Hope was given to the one boy of the three.

Old 05-01-14, 16:11

This thread reminds me of a History Cold Case episode where the team investigated the burial of a mother and three babies. It was fascinating...if just a little gruesome.

The Woman and Three Babies (Series 2, Episode 4)

In the sleepy commuter town of Baldock in Hertfordshire, the History Cold Case team is called in to investigate the discovery of a skeleton dating from around 100AD, buried in a bizarre position, along with the remains of three babies. Is she Celt or Roman? Is she the earliest recorded mother of triplets in Britain and what can her story reveal about the bizarre attitudes to pregnancy and childbirth during the Roman occupation of Britain?
Old 05-01-14, 23:13

God-daughter has been advised that she should not attempt to have more children as the arrival of natural identical twins increases the subsequent risk of multiple births.

One of my ancestors had twin sisters. One twin died at birth. The other married to William Woodyard of Edgefield, Norfolk (Erpingham RD)

Three children survived her. One died with her in 1861 when she was aged 35. She had triplets (Mary, Martha and Abigail, who all died) There is at least one set of twins as well: Edmund and John (Dad was called Edmund) and another child who died as an infant.

I thought there were more, but multiple births seem distressingly common in Norfolk.
Old 06-01-14, 00:12
tenterfieldjulie

We have a family who had 1 child, then twins, then quinss. The oldest child died pre teen she had a lot of medical problems and so did one of the quinss shortly after birth. The others are still living born in the late 1960s I think. A family friend had two sets of twins very close together at the same time .. said she wished she had the help that they got for the quads/quinns. I know there was a big write up in the Womens Weekly at the time. (I think they would be fairly well paid for that too.) Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 06-01-14 at 20:53.