Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 02-01-14, 11:19

Default A precursor of Internet dating?

From the Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Saturday, October 18th, 1873.

"Courting by Electric Telegraph

A very romantic and interesting courtship was brought to fruition on Tuesday, September 30th, by the marriage of a young gentleman of Honiton to a young lady of Gosport, both of whom were telegraphists. Some years since the gentleman was engaged as operator at Southampton, and having charge of the Gosport wires, had ample opportunities of opening a communication with the lady at that office. So "attractive" was the "electric power" that in a short time a clandestine meeting was proposed and carried into effect. The telegraphic pair (evidently satisfied with each other's appearance and address) entered into a correspondence, which was continued up to the present time, unknown to the parents of the parties. The banns were called, and the bride - under the pretence of visiting a sister - arrived in London on Monday, the 29th ult., and was married the day after. The news soon spread, and great consternation has been caused in the respective family circles by this "electric shock". We trust the parents will not withold their approval of the irrevocable step taken, so that we may exclaim with Shakespeare, "All's Well that Ends Well." - Exeter Paper"

I'd love to find the couple's marriage, but without any names it might well be impossible.
Old 02-01-14, 17:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I'd love to find the couple's marriage, but without any names it might well be impossible.

1871 census (6 Paragon Place)

Marriage entry (first one on left page)

1881 census (at the post office)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-01-14, 17:21

Ooooh, you clever thing, Merry!
I had rather forgotten about this since I posted as I was distracted by domestic doings.

I found this article when I was going through my C drive of downloaded newspaper articles. I was trying to find what it was I wanted on the page.

It also caught my attention because the groom came from the town where I grew up.
Old 02-01-14, 17:34
Administrator

I tried to short circuit be looking at young men from Devon living in Southampton in 1871 and seeing if any of them showed up on the list of marriages that took place in London on the right date. Unfortunately he wasn't in Southampton at that time so I had to just look through the marriages. I looked at about 35.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-01-14, 17:46

Merry, I'm very impressed at your tenacity.

They are at Teignmouth, Devon, iin 1901:

1901 Census
LOCKYEAR, Emma Eliza
NEWTON ABBOT, Devonshire
RG13 piece 2048 folio 10 page 12
Old 02-01-14, 19:47
Administrator

As well as running the post office Fred was also an accomplished banjo player, singer, illusionist and ventriloquist! (according to the local papers)

Old 02-01-14, 19:56
Administrator

...and he was a published author!

The practical ventriloquist: An unerring guide to the whole art of ventriloquism containing full instructions... by Fred W Lockyear (1883)

Old 02-01-14, 20:01
Administrator

I wonder if this is his likeness on the front cover?!!

Is this Fred?!

Old 02-01-14, 20:02

Most interesting, Merry.

Their son, Alfred, is on the Boer War Roll of Honour for Devon.

http://www.devonheritage.org/Nonplac...HonourJtoL.htm
Old 02-01-14, 20:11

Fred was certainly a colourful character. He died in 1908, but not sure what happened to his wife.