Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 16-12-11, 08:46
Administrator

Default Judith Rogers

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Judith Rogers
Date and place of birth 1746 Norwich, Norfolk
Names of parents Francis Rogers and Judith nee Mortimer
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 15 Feb 1746 St John de Sepulchre, Norwich, Norfolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 12 Nov 1775 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, to Thomas Salter, by banns, witnesses Henry Brown and Christian Salter. Spinster of the parish.
Occupation(s) - if any None
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and then Horsleydown, London / Surrey
Date, place and cause of death August 1814 Horsleydown, London
Date and place of burial. 31 Aug 1814 St John's Horsleydown, London, age 69, abode Thomas's St.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to daughter's thread:
Mary Salter

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 03-09-21 at 17:29. Reason: add birth, parents, baptism
Old 16-12-11, 09:11
Administrator

Hmmm, there's a Mrs Judith Rogers buried at St Nicholas, Yarmouth, 5 Jun 1792, widow, age 77. I wonder if she could be my Judith's mother? There's a Judith Rogers baptised at St John de Sepulchre, Norwich, 15 Feb 1746, parents Francis and Judith, and another child of those parents Francis baptised at the same place in 1760 so I wonder if they could have moved from Norwich to Great Yarmouth between 1760 and 1775. But there are loads of Rogerses in Yarmouth so hard to sort them out.

Old 16-12-11, 10:37
Administrator

Probably not that Norwich family as one of them got married at Norwich St John de Sepulchre in 1783 but I suppose it could be.

Old 20-07-16, 11:21
Administrator

So, now that ancestry have their index to the Norfolk PR's, I am looking at the Judith Rogers baptised in Norwich again and I do think she must be my Judith. I can't see a marriage or burial for the Judith from Norwich apart from mine, and there is a burial for Francis Rogers, married man, pauper, age 70, in Norwich in 1790, which would fit with the Judith Rogers, widow, buried in Great Yarmouth in 1792 being my Judith's mother. I know that my Judith was still living in Great Yarmouth in 1785 and that they had moved to London by 1795, but not sure whether they were still there in 1792, but they may well have been, and so Judith's mother could have gone to live with them after Francis died.

Old 20-07-16, 13:37
Administrator

There is a public tree on ancestry which has Mary Rogers, daughter of Francis and Judith, marrying a William Chambers and living in Great Yarmouth, so it does seem to fit together now.

Tags
to4g20