Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-12-09, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I've heard the story before, Mandy - but only, I think, on message boards & not within the wider range of lecturers, professionals etc.

There must have been one or two entries that went up in smoke before they could reach Somerset House. If the Somerset House volumes were farmed out to Wales, it may be that not every registrar knew the correct address to send the stuff to. But any errors would, I have thought, have been on a fairly small scale.

I have a friend whose birth registration wasn't anywhere near where she was actually born, which again wasn't near where she grew up, due to the upheaval of the period, which would make finding the details challenging for a stranger.

Deaths are even more challenging - some people killed in air-raids were never properly identified.
Thanks, Brenda, it's good to have input from people like yourself who've been at this game a lot longer than me!
Old 18-12-09, 19:08

My OH's mum was evacuated from Glasgow to Peebles to have her. Not the most obvious place if you didn't know. Soon after I was born I went on a tour of southern England and ended up in Northumberland for a couple of years.