Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-08-19, 17:30

Default A will question

I have started searching for wills to order, as they are so cheap at the moment but have come up with a problem. I searched the probate records on ancestry for Daniel Welch who died 1921 and found a record, but as I don't have a sub, I couldn't see the details. I then went over to the government site to see if it was my Daniel Welch, but there isn't one listed in 1921. The names on the list go from Charles to David. Is someone able to check the record on Ancestry to see what it says please? Any idea why it doesn't show on the government site?
Thanks

Edit, have just found that I already have the detail for this, still odd that it doesn't appear on the government site
Actually just found it in the following year.

Last edited by Lynn the Forest Fan; 07-08-19 at 17:34.
Old 07-08-19, 18:08
Administrator

The probate entry on ancestry has date of death 24 Dec 1921. He was of Barton on Humber Lincs, Probate to Ellen Welch, widow. £170 0s 10d

Probate was granted 3 Feb 1922. So it's the 1922 listing you would need on the Gov site. Only after 1996 (I think) that you can enter the year of death and still find the entry on the Gov site.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-08-19, 18:08

Until the records were computerised, the indexes to the government records were recorded in printed books, which were compiled from date of probate.

In the good old days, we were taught to work forward from date of death and that probate might be granted months or even years later. The personal record in my family (for an admon, not a will) is two decades.
Old 08-08-19, 16:42

Thanks. I did find the record, and I had already made note of it, must have been when ancestry had a free weekend!