Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-01-11, 20:37
Administrator

I don't think I am going to get much further with Maison and Hamilton unless one of the relatives I have messaged contacts me as there does not appear to be an explanation available in the online resources. As you say, they could just be names she liked for some reason!

I have been contacted regarding another clergyman mystery I posted on here a while back, so you never know!

If I ever do find the answer, I will let you know!

I just wish my tree was half this interesting and mysterious!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 06-01-11, 00:39

"I just wish my tree was half this interesting and mysterious! "

Me too, Chris - I have my lot on both sides, all the way from the early 1800s (and earlier in some cases) straight lines, no twists, divorces or other little mysteries.

The only hiccup is that Great-grandma Edith married a second time without the bother of getting a divorce. And that was pretty easy to find !

Hope you can find out something one day.

Di
Old 06-01-11, 05:03

Well, if either of you want a completely nutty tree full of all sorts, just yell...........lol
Old 06-01-11, 07:05
Administrator

I think I have found some more - One of the Ancestry trees have a son of the marriage to Gottardo Gianini called Harold James Hamilton. I can't find his birth registered as Harold James Any-of-the-names-used-before, but in 1931 in Fitzroy Victoria there is a Marie Florence Hamilton in the same house as Harold James Hamilton, he is not with her on the electoral rolls on either side of that date, possibly only just 21 in 1931, and he appears elsewhere in 1937.

So it looks like she might have gone back to using Hamilton again. There is a death of Marie Florence Hamilton in 1940, the right age but the parents names make no sense at all - so that is probably her.

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 06-01-11, 09:23
Administrator

I wonder how many other families there are out these with similar name problems, but called Smith and Jones etc. You would never find anything!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-09-14, 23:14
Administrator

It has been a while, but I am back on this trail again after being contacted by a relative with certificates. This is so confusing, but I am sure there is only one Mary/Marie. This is what I have if anyone is seriously bored! I have not been able to find either of the supposed fathers. I am pretty sure that the Forder husband was still alive when she married Hamilton, but he died pretty quickly so she was widowed when she married Gianini.

Mary/Marie Price/Florence Roberts/Hazelwood
Born 1859 either France or Lancashire or Staffordshire
Married as Mary Price Roberts June q 1876 Dalton in Furness Lancs to Thomas Lowry Wilcock and divorced NZ 1883 adultery with Charles Edward Forder. We are waiting for this marriage cert.

Karl Egbert Maison b 23 Jan 1883 Auckland, parents Marie Price Maison age 24 (b 1859) Lancashire and Charles Edward Forder accountant age 30 b Parnell

Married as Marie Price Maison 26 December 1883 NZ to Charles Edward Forder
She was a spinster age 24 (b1859) Staffordshire England. Parents Leon Maison gentleman and Margaret nee Price.

Married as Marie Florence Forder 19 July 1897 Adelaide St Australia to Thomas Dai Hamilton. Her father was Henry Charles Hazelwood.

Married as Marie Florence Hamilton, 19 Sept 1900 Bourke Melbourne to Gottardo Ginanini. Her father was Charles Henry Hazelwood author, and mother Margurhita ? She was a widow age 41 (b 1859) Marseille France.

1901 census Willesden Middlesex as Marie F Hamilton widow b 1859 France with son Karl E Hamilton b 1883 Auckland

1909 Australian electoral roll as Marie Florence Gianini, Langridge Road Fairfield, no husband at the address.

1914 Australian electoral roll as Mary Price Gianini with Gottard, a sweep at the same address.

Died 6 December 1940 Fairfield Melbourne age 81, (b 1859) Marseilles France
Marie Florence Gottardo known as Marie Florence Hamilton.
Parents Charles Henry Hazelwood author, and Margurhita Gutton .

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 05-09-14, 07:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
Mary/Marie Price/Florence Roberts/Hazelwood
Born 1859 either France or Lancashire or Staffordshire
Married as Mary Price Roberts June q 1876 Dalton in Furness Lancs to Thomas Lowry Wilcock and divorced NZ 1883 adultery with Charles Edward Forder. We are waiting for this marriage cert.
I didn't realise this was an old thread until I got to the last post! It was a fascinating (re-)read.

Cumbria BMD has this marriage listed as St James, Barrow in Furness.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-09-14, 07:30
Administrator

Corrected that, thanks Kate. I am so going in circles with this lot, if they would just stick to one set of information!

I have tracked down Thomas Dai Hamilton, who was b Corfu, but thankfully was living in the house, which he gave as a false address to an actress he was ripping money off, at the time of the 1881 census. His brother was baptised in London so I have that baptism certificate online and confirmed his parents names, which fit with the sets of names that were given at his death, but not at his marriage!

I am just working through each of the key players to try and see what I can confirm or delete!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 05-09-14, 07:40
Administrator

I think I will wait to see what that marriage cert says; I can't find anything new at the moment.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-10-14, 18:20
Administrator

The marriage cert for Mary Price Roberts and Thomas Lowry Wilcock has arrived!
26 June 1876 Thomas was 20 bachelor and a grocer, and his father was William Wilcock, miner
Mary Price Roberts was 17 spinster, and her father was John Roberts, moulder
The address at the time of marriage was 2 Lyons Street Dalton
Witnesses were Andrew and Agnes Rutherford.

There is also a birth cert but I am pretty sure it is the wrong one, the birth is 1850 and Mary/Marie is consistent with her age if nothing else, and that is always c1859.

(Marcel Proust)

Christine