Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 15-11-17, 19:00

Default George Orton

Father of James Orton

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
George Orton
Date and place of birth
9 Sep 1706, Preston, Sussex.
Names of parents
George Orton (though the family name was sometimes recorded as Overton in Malpas, Cheshire where George senior was born) and Mary, maiden name unknown.
Date and place of baptism
23rd Sep Preston, Sussex where his father was the vicar.
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
7 Jun 1739, Twineham, Sussex, George Orton, clerk, to Mrs Sarah Burnall of Horsham
Occupation(s) - if any
Curate 1729-1742 at Slaugham where his father was also the Rector. After 1742 he may have moved to St Nicolas, Old Shoreham as two children were baptised there.
Addresses where they lived
1722: at Brasenose College, Oxford
1729-death: Slaugham, Sussex

Date, place and cause of death
Feb 1759 Sussex
Date and place of burial.
28 Feb 1759 Slaugham, Sussex “Mr Goreg [sic] Orton Buried feb the 28: 1759”
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
None. Two of his children benefitted from the Poor Orphans of the Clergy charity in 1764
Memorial inscription - if any
none found

Last edited by Jill; 07-01-18 at 20:34. Reason: error in son's name/spacing
Old 20-08-18, 08:14

George received his sister Sarah's inheritance from their father's will, she having predeceased them both. George snr mentions "goods, furniture & household stuff
in the house wherein I now dwell and also all the goods, furniture and Moveables that belong to me at Slaugham now in the possession of my Son George Orton" whichwere to have gone to Sarah and to George jr on her death.

Also mentioned is an interest in a "Messuage or tenement Garden, Orchard and Appurtenances late in the occupation or William Willet also situate in the parish of Slaugham aforesaid, and in the said County, and nearunto the great pond of the aforesaid parish" profit from the sale of his interest to be invested to provide an income for Sarah, then to go to George on her death.

The Executors/Trustees were Rev Ralph Clutton of Horsted Keynes and Thomas Western Esq & John Kempe of Preston.

Last edited by Jill; 20-08-18 at 08:19. Reason: spacing
Old 07-02-20, 18:21

George's father George Orton (or Overton) was bapt at Malpas, Cheshire 18 May 1664, son of Urien Orton or Overton of Oldcastle and was educated at Brasenose College, became a deacon at St Botoloph without Aldersgate London in 1691, then curate of Thakeham, Sussex, then was vicar of Preston, Sussex and All Saints, Hove, Sussex, was also Rector of Ashington, Sussex for five years, and was later Rector of Slaugham which post he held at his death in 1749, while also being vicar of Preston. He was buried at Preston on 10 Apr 1749, no trace remains of his grave at the church. His wife Mary had been buried at Slaugham on 23 Aug 1725, again there is no trace of the grave.

His executor Rev Ralph Clutton of nearby Horsted Keynes was probably a kinsman as he was from Malpas and his mother was an Overton.

George snr's father Urien was buried as Urien Overton of Oldcastle at Mal[as, Cheshire on 6 Mar 1681 (1680 old style), his mother Sarah (nee Jenks) was bjried as Sarah wife of Urien Overton of Oldcastle at Malpas on 19 Oct 1678.

Last edited by Jill; 07-02-20 at 18:36.
Old 27-11-22, 19:34

I have been looking at George's wife Sarah Burnall. She was "of Horsham" when they married at Twineham.

Many people claim she was bapt in Horsham in April 1723 dau of Thomas and Mary Burnell. Thomas died that year and left a will made in Nov 1723, he mentions three sons and daughters Elizabeth and Mary but no Sarah.

After she was widowed in 1759 Sarah married the following year on 16th April at Slaugham to Richard Stedman, a cordwainer and bore him three children. She had already had eight children by the time she was 40 with first husband George.

The parish register records her burial on 4th Sept 1811 at Slaugham and notes she was from the Poorhouse, aged 90 and the oldest woman in the parish. This would make her birth 1720 and aged 19 at the time of her first marriage.
Old 27-11-22, 20:15
Administrator

There might be some clues about Sarah's family here:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C10435148

Sorry, just off to eat now or I would have a proper look at it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-11-22, 22:20
Administrator

So Sarah Orton's mother's name was Mary. And Sarah had a sister Elizabeth and brother Thomas.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-11-22, 23:26

Thank you, this is very interesting, I will look further into this.
Old 28-11-22, 07:37

It seems I was wrong to dismiss the 1723 baptism, as Thomas Burnell's wife's maiden name was Lester and they married at Rumboldswyke and he is stated as being from Horsham. Thanks again Kiterunner for finding the clues, I need to transcribe that will even though Sarah isn't mentioned and look for Lester ones.
Old 01-12-22, 06:26

I have followed up the people mentioned in the document found by Kiterunner and found a will for Sarah Orton nee Burnell's uncle William Lester, surgeon, in which he mentions his mother Ann Badmering. She outlived her son and daughter and I am currently transcribing her will which is long and mentions Sarah getting a half share in her wearing apparel. The grandson in the Welsh Fusiliers only gets a small sum as he upset his mother by running away from his Master and trade!

There are other wills I have found and skimmed through but not transcribed yet.

AnnBadmering's daughter Mary's first husband (Sarah's father) was Thomas Burnell. Ann Badmering names the second husband as Henry Spencer though I cannot find a marriage for Mary Burnell and Henry. It would be after 1723, a daughter Ann Spencer who was born 1728 who is mentioned in Ann Badmering's will and the dispute found by Kiterunner.