Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-05-13, 12:03

Shona, one of her addresses on the army records was at Carlow, crossed out with Horgans Buildings substituted.
Old 15-05-13, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Roots Ireland doesn't have records for the city of Cork, by the look of it. I was wondering if we could find his birth or baptism on there but it looks as though Merry will have to get her husband to order the birth certificate from the Irish GRO.
Yes, I think so. I also looked for a baptism and didn't find one.
Old 15-05-13, 12:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I haven't found any newspaper articles about Margaret or David's various convictions; unfortunately there seem to be very few Irish newspapers online.
There is this site but you have to pay to view the articles, although you can search and view snippets for free:
http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

Minimum sub is 10 Euros for 24 hours.

But I haven't managed to find anything that looks like them yet on the free search anyway, not been trying long though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-05-13, 12:22
Administrator

I'm eating my sandwiches in the car on the way to the hospital.

What a good job you are all doing. I canLt believe JH always made himself out to be the blacksheep in a nice middle class family who didn't approve of him frequenting public houses. Goodness knows who hard headed scot was if his mother was a prostitute????

We will be getting the birth cert to see what the date of birth was.

Have to go now. Thansk again.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-05-13, 12:27

Given what we have found out, how do we interpret this 1919 letter.

His mother, Maggie Hutton, had been in Mountjoy Prison in Dublin in 1918 and incarcerated twice in 1919. Who are these 'people' he mentions who wouldn't even speak to him? Grandparents? The elusive sisters (I can't find them...)? Then again, When I hear sisters, my mind wonders on to nuns. Certainly, the church and authorities were very active in Dublin at that time with regards to prostitution - Magdalene Laundries, etc.

Here'a a bit about the area.

'Monto was the nickname for a one-time notorious red light district in Dublin. Monto was roughly the area bounded by Talbot Street, Amiens Street, Gardiner Street and Seán McDermott Street (formerly Gloucester Street). The name is derived from Montgomery Street (now called Foley Street), which runs parallel to the lower end of Talbot Street towards what is now Connolly Station. It was immortalised as "Nighttown" in the "Circe" chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses, where the central protagonists Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus together visit a brothel.

In its heyday from the 1860s-1900s, there were anything up to 1,600 prostitutes working there at any one time, with all classes of customers catered for. It was reputed to be the biggest red light district in Europe. Its financial viability aided by the number of British Army barracks and hence soldiers in the city, notably the Royal Barracks.'

Maggie seems to vanish from the records after 1919. Was she sent to a laundry? Did she die? Return to Cork?

Maggie did use Cunningham as an alias - another Scottish name!

I also wonder if this is all caught up with Republicanism. Someone who had been in the Army would have been shunned at that time in Cork, especially if Mum was providing a 'service' to the Army.

Letter from John Hamilton
Cork 25/3/(19)19.

My Own Dearest Babs,

Doubtless you might wonder why I have come on to Cork. I am beginning to wonder myself now dear. I changed my mind at the last moment at Surbiton and thought that if I came on to Cork my people would overlook things. I never made a bigger miscalculation in my life dear. They wouldn’t even speak to me. I tried every possible way Babs but it was worse than useless. I’m sorry now that I troubled about it, I might have known better. When I leave here I shall never come within a long radius of Cork.

You know my father is Scotch (sic) Babs and the decision of a hard-headed Scotsman is hard to alter. I know that I have asked for this and if I hadn’t you (to) think of dear I should just get out of the country altogether. When I left my people I felt very miserable and thought there was only one thing left to do (to get drunk) but I thought of my promise to you Babs and after all it wouldn’t have made things any better. I am leaving here shortly dear and shall call down to Porton to see you before I start my training in London. I’ll send you a wire the day before so that you can arrange to have the day off if possible. We can go to Salisbury for the day. I would have called down to see you before I left Surbiton dear but I came away in the clothes the army issue DV’s and I looked too awful for words. I looked just as though I had fell out of a mincing machine and felt like it too. I am in “digs” here Babs and it isn’t half as bad as I thought it would be. I am fairly comfortable but I am not stopping here long.

I’ll write you again Babs dearest and let you know when I am leaving. For the present “au revoir” with heaps of fondest love

From your own devoted

Jack xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Shona; 20-05-13 at 14:38.
Old 15-05-13, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is this site but you have to pay to view the articles, although you can search and view snippets for free:
http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

Minimum sub is 10 Euros for 24 hours.

But I haven't managed to find anything that looks like them yet on the free search anyway, not been trying long though.

No, I had a quick look at the quick search there too, but no luck.
Old 15-05-13, 12:30

I was reading that letter yesterday, and as Merry says, it is hard to reconcile the way he writes with what we believe we know about his early life.
Old 15-05-13, 12:40

Sadly, I think he was more than economical with the truth. It is hard to distinguish the truth from the lies.
Old 15-05-13, 12:51

Yesterday, Kite found David Hutton in 1901 in an institution in Cork.

The place was the St Joseph's industrial school for boys, run by the Sisters of Mercy, in Passage West, Cork. As with many of these places, it is listed as one where children were abused and tortured.

A book, A Passage in Time - History of Passage West, includes information on the school.

I wonder if there are records?

Last edited by Shona; 20-05-13 at 14:38.
Old 15-05-13, 12:54

Oh goodness, how awful.