Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-02-21, 11:54

Default Great service from Cumbria Archives

Yesterday afternoon I emailed Cumbria archives about a marriage record dated 1705 that I had been aware of for some time from the England Marriage Index but it didn't give the brides surname. I wondered if the original had the full name but didn't really expect any information yet due to lockdown etc.

I have just received an email with an image of the record giving me Dorothy's full name and I've already found her baptism on FMP so have got back another generation.

How fabulous is that! They haven't charged me anything either although I have offered to pay. It's the highlight of the year so far....
Old 01-02-21, 11:59

Sue

Yes, fantastic service. I have had similar in the past. I think they are probably very bored at the moment nd jumping at anything purposeful to do. My local library is still open for click and collect and the three assistants jump on me when I go in, they are desperate to chat, to help, anything!

OC
Old 01-02-21, 14:43

We have click and collect at our local library too. It's located above a youth/community centre with a security guard on reception. We have to give him our name and he calls up to the library and a staff member comes scurrying down with our books in a bag which is thrust at us before rapidly disappearing again. No hanging about for chat in Essex!!

I can understand why the Archive service was so good - I just wasn't sure whether they would have anyone on the premises to do look ups! Apparently quick "one off" copies are free during lockdown 3. Further help may be charged which is fine by me.
Old 07-02-21, 12:37

Exciting!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire