Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 20-07-15, 07:19

Default (68) Herbert William Breading, G69410 The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

68th of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath to lose his life in WW1.

Born to William and Fanny Breading in 1899 in Cuckfield, Herbert and family lived in Broad Street, Cuckfield in 1901. By 1911 they lived at Southlands Cottage, Kents Road, Haywards Heath where William was a labourer, Herbert had three brothers and a sister living there along with a lodger, (his mother’s great uncle*).

His father William also enlisted in the Army, having previously been a soldier: he served at home and in the Labour Corps, his pension record gives the birth dates of five of his children but Herbert does not appear, having died by the time the paperwork was completed.

Herbert enlisted in January 1918, he had been working for Thomas Green, a blacksmith near the Sergison Arms. Herbert died on 28 Aug 1918 at The Somme, and is buried at Morlancourt British Cemetery no 2, Ville sur Ancre.

From the local paper:
MID SUSSEX TIMES 17 SEP 1918
DEATH OF PRIVATE H. W. BREADING
We regret to have to record that Private H. W. Breading, the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regt), was killed in action in France on August 23rd. He was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Breading of Southland Cottages, Kent’s Road, and was nearly 19 years of age. He joined up last January and went to France in June. In civil life he was a shoeing smith in the employ of Mr. T. Green. - Through this medium Mr. and Mrs. Breading wish to sincerely thank the many friends who have sympathised with them in their bereavement.

His mother Fanny was paid £3 15s 4d, (his outstanding pay) on 7 Dec 1918 and a War Gratuity of £3 on 6 Dec 1919.

* This great uncle was David Selven Goddard who was a nephew of my husband’s 3x great grandmother which was my clue that Herbert was related to my husband.

Herbert’s mother Fanny was the illegitimate daughter of Harriet Mitchell (the birth certificate has just arrived), Harriet and my husband’s 2x great grandfather Leonard Mitchell were both children of his 3x great grandmother Fanny Mitchell nee Goddard. It also turns out that when my husband had a paper round as a youngster the lad who marked up the papers was his 4th cousin.