Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 18-05-15, 07:13

Default (59) Albert James Watts, Pte G70275 The Queens (Royal West Surrey Regt) A Coy, 7th Bn

59th of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's, Haywards Heath to die in WW1.

Albert was born in Haywards Heath on 26 Aug 1899 to greengrocer George Albert Watts and his wife Ellen, and baptised at St Wilfrid’s on 24 Sep 1899. In 1901 & 1911 they lived in over the shop in South Road. The family suffered a sad blow in 1916:

Sussex Agricultural Express 25 August 1916
DEATH OF MR GA WATTS: This well-known trades-man passed away on Saturday at his premises in South-road. He had been laid aside for five weeks, suffering from gastric influenza. He was quiet and industrious, and his death is lamented by many. He was only 47 and leaves a wife and three children. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon

Albert died in France on 26 Apr 1918 aged 18 and has no known grave. Albert is commemorated on the Poziers Monument. He was a cousin of George Frederick Watts, another St Wilfrid’s old boy who died in the war.

From the local paper:
MID SUSSEX TIMES 21 MAY 1918
PRIVATE A. J. WATTS MISSING
On Thursday, Mrs Watts of South Road, received a letter from CQMS F Webb intimating that her son, Private AJ Watts, the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment), has been missing since April 26th last. Mrs Watts has received no further news. Her son, who is 18 years of age, joined up last September, and went to France on April 2nd. He was in the employ of Messrs G Hilton and Sons in civil life.

His mother was paid £7 1d on 25th May 1919, being a War Gratuity of £5 and effects of £2 1d.

His cousin George Frederick Watts was another of the Old Boys to lose his life.

Last edited by Jill; 23-07-15 at 13:18. Reason: Link to cousin
Old 25-06-16, 21:25

The Mid Sussex Times is now on Find My Past and I have just found an article from 6 May 1919 which says he died at Hangard Wood, and his family gave St Wilfrid's church a font ewer. I find I already have a photo of the ewer which I took when I visited the church 6 years ago with the children from St Wilfrid's school.