Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 11-05-17, 21:43

Jill, You are wonderful, that means so much to me and the family, many thanks. I am in touch with a number of cousins who have been doing research on the Overton family for many years but we are losing touch with great great nephews/nieces. The grave is not in a good state when I visited in 2014, the cross on his grandmothers grave next to his should be on Williams grave. This is why I would love to find his family. Carol
Old 13-05-17, 09:33

Jill, I do have a few pictures if that would help your display. Carol
Old 13-05-17, 10:49

That would be wonderful, I shall pm my email address.
Old 30-05-17, 18:31

I together with Miss Heidi Watkins are putting together this little service forr William on the 28th. June 2017. It is intended that a Drum drapped with a Union Jack with a photo of william will be placed on the drum alongside his grave from where the service will be conducted by Captain Ian Olive, Military Padre with the Canadian Army in UK. together with the Head of the Uniting Church of Canada Also attending will be Mr. & Mrs. Geoff Overton from Polegate (Nephew), the Mayor of Haywards Heath., 6 Students and a teacher from St. Wilfrids school, where william was a studemt, Two World 1 Re-enactors, in full army dress with rifles. Also attending is the Mid Sussex News paper Photographer . They covered the story of the original funeral from 100 years ago. Just thought I would put this up as a guide to what we are trying to achieve for William. Jim Still
Old 30-05-17, 19:16

Hi Jim, I'll see you & Heidi there on the day, I'm going to pop down there before the day with my shears and gardening gloves to do a little tidy up.

At the foot of William's grave is that of another soldier who died of wounds at home, Leon Guy Austen.
Old 31-05-17, 09:11

Fantastic Jill. If you let me know the date and time you will be going down with your gardening tools Heidi and I will meet with you there. Another thought we had was the possibilty of one of the students reading a WW1 poem or perhaps a tribute from them during the service.
Old 31-05-17, 22:13

Hi Jill ,just to introduce myself ,my name is Geoff Overton and I'm Carol s cousin in Australia,she has been keeping me informed with all the good work you have been doing regarding our uncle William and all the other lads who attended the same school,I will look forward to meeting you on the 28th June
Many Thanks
Geoff
Old 01-06-17, 08:37

Pleased to meet you Geoff, it looks like all is organised for the day, fingers crossed that the weather will do us proud too.
Old 12-06-17, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Still View Post
Fantastic Jill. If you let me know the date and time you will be going down with your gardening tools Heidi and I will meet with you there. Another thought we had was the possibilty of one of the students reading a WW1 poem or perhaps a tribute from them during the service.
Jim - I'm fitting in the tidy up with my early morning run so have been there over the weekend (06:30!) and given the grave and the one next to it, (his grandmother's) an initial tidy except for the bluebells and will go again before the day.

I'll be meeting with the students before the day, perhaps you'd like to let me know what reading you would like, or we could put together a short piece ourselves.
Old 13-06-17, 14:40

Hi Jill.

Thanks for your efforts to date, very kind of you to tidy things up at the grave site.

With regards to a reading by the students I think it would be great if they were to do something of their own or of their own choice. Whatever it is will be most appreciated.

We are going to the grave site on Friday about 11am. Would be nice to meet with you if possible.

Regards..... JIM