Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 27-05-14, 13:54

Default Josiah Morrow Worner

Josiah Morrow Worner was the son of John Worner and Alicia Stephens, of Mystic Park, near Kerang, Victoria, Australia.

When he enlisted on 23 Sep 1918, his records include a slip noting his date of birth as 24 Feb 1899 and as a minor, his parents had no objection to his enlistment.

His older brothers, Ernest Perrin Worner and Albert Edwin Worner had also enlisted in 1915. Albert Edwin had been killed in July 1916 in the Somme, and Ernest had been medically discharged after being wounded in France.

Josiah was taken into the 22nd reinforcements and sent to Broadmeadows for training. On the 25th Oct and 31 Oct he received his typhoid injections.

From his service records, it seems that he was being readied to be demobilised, as the Armistice had been declared. On 25 November he was admitted to the Queens Memorial Infectious Diseases Hospital at Fairfield Vic, and was diagnosed as having meningitis. Sadly he died on November 30th 1918 and was buried at Broadmeadows, Victoria.

These three brothers are descendents of my 5xg grandparents, Thomas Worner and Ruth Glover of Martock Somerset, as are the following who also served in the Great War, and so all are in some degree cousins. This only takes into account descendents named Worner, and not those of the female descendents (I am still working on that)

Alexander Alfred Worner born in 1893 to John and Mary (Burnie) Worner , in Deloraine Tasmania. Killed in action 29 Jul 1916 in the Somme battles.

Walter Wilfred Worner (Lieutenant) born 1873 in New South Wales to William and Dorothy (Gimeson) Worner, enlisted 22.9.1914 to the 13th battalion AIF, Returned to Australia 21.12.1917

Cecil Worner, born 1900 Forbes NSW to Walter Wilfred and Susan (Prior) Worner. Served with 4th D Sig Coy AIF and Returned to Australia in 1919

Claude James Worner born in 1898 to George Gordon and Elizabeth Marie Worner of Perth WA. Served with 28th battalion AIF and returned to Australia in 1918

Charles Vernon Worner born 1889 Kerang Vic, to George Gordon and Elizabeth Marie Worner of Perth WA (brother of Claude above). Served with Aus Army Pay Corps, Returned to Australia 1919.

Edward Joseph Worner b 14 Jan 1899 at Condobolin NSW son of Alberic Harry and Evelyn Agnes Worner (Alberic, brother of Walter Wilfred above). 16-27 Reinforcements joined 19.9.1918 discharged served with AIF Special and Retruend to Australia 19.10.1919

William Arthur Worner, born 1896, Sydney NSW son of James Edwards Worner and Annie nee Hailwood. Served with 58th Battalion AIF, died 26 Mar 1917, buried in Pas-de-Calais France

William Indoe Worner born 1884, Martock Somerset, son of William Indoe and Emma French Worner,of Newport, Monmouthshire, died 31 Mar 1916 in the Somme - Served with British Army 2nd Battalion rifle Brigade, buried at Pargny, France
Old 06-01-18, 10:27

Default Worner

Re Worner Family,
I am also descendant of Worner a Family, Johns Brother Josiah is my Grt Grandfather, my Grandfather Albert Raymond Worner, born at Milloo on Family Farm in 1899
Happy to share info I have,
Also have photos of 2 of the Worner boys from Mystic Park in uniform,
Regards Dean Wilkinson
[email protected]
Old 10-01-18, 20:47

Hi Dean
Love to have photos and share info with you. Several members of the greater Worner family migrated to Australia and its always lovely to make contact with someone else researching them.

My 3xg grandmother was Matilda Jane Worner (known as Jane) married James Rodford. Her father Joseph Worner was the youngest son of Thomas (b1736) and Ruth Worner, from whom most of us descend. I have had very little contact with any descendents of Thomas's brother John (b1734) - so many Johns, Thomas's and Williams make the family very confusing.

Diane
Old 27-01-19, 04:48

hi Diane, sorry i didnt see your reply, just found recently,
i can assist with photos and information on the boys from mYstic Park and the Milloo Worners, please advise where to send it to, email address above.
Thanks Dean Wilkinson