Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 06-11-14, 10:03
Administrator

Default Sydney Wylie Bristow

Another of my grandfather's cousins. Born 29 Jun 1877 in Islington, London, son of John Frederick Wyllie Bristow and Sarah Ann nee Golden. Pre-war occupation paper-hanger.

First wife: Edith Agnes Ivory. They got married 31 Jul 1904 at St Barnabas, Islington, and had one child, Sidney Walter Bristow 22 May 1905 - 1982. Edith died two days after Sidney jr's birth. Cause of death nephritis and parturition.

Second wife: Maud Eliza Tucker. They got married 30 Mar 1907 at Stoke Newington parish church. Maud died in the first quarter of 1908.

Third wife: Caroline Irene Brinkworth. They got married 11 Oct 1909 at St John the Baptist, Islington.

Private no 34870 in 1st Battalion of the Essex Regiment. Killed in action 24 Apr 1917 in France, age 39. Buried at Dury Crucifix Cemetery, Pas de Calais.

Medal roll index card and medal roll:
Medal Roll Index card on ancestry
Medal Roll on ancestry

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-04-16, 19:14

Kate, are you aware of the origins of the Wylie name in that particular family? It's an unusual choice of middle name, so I had wondered whether the Bristows had any Scots or Irish ancestry. I was contacted yesterday by a woman who is doing a DNA project for the Wylie/Wiley (and various other spellings) family of Ballymena - of which my mother's family is a part- and I just wondered whether this family and the Bristows may have collided at any point.

All the Wylies I've come across have been Irish or Scots, and it's not a particularly common name as far as I know, so I just thought I'd ask.
Old 29-04-16, 20:16
Administrator

John Frederick Wyllie Bristow's maternal grandfather, James Ferrier, was Scottish (from Edinburgh) but I have never managed to find out where the name Wyllie or Wylie came from. But it could be after a family friend rather than actual relative.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update