Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 03-08-15, 09:33

Default (70) John Awcock, 15474 Guardsman, Scots Guards

70th of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath to lose his life in the Great War.

John was born in Lindfield in 1884 to Stanford and Mary Ann Awcock, in 1891 they lived in Burgess Hill where his father was a bricklayer, later moving to Mill Green Road in Haywards Heath. His father died in 1908, John had followed his father’s trade and was a bricklayer in 1911, still living with his widowed mother at 15 Mill Green Road. He worked for Finches builders a short walk from his home – the yard was next to the railway station. John joined the Scots Guards and was killed in action on 12 Oct 1918 and is buried at Romieres Communal Cemetery near Solemes, France, grave IV. D. 5.

From the local paper:
MID SUSSEX TIMES 22 OCT 1918
“AN HONOURABLE MEMORY AMONG BRAVE MEN” – Another old boy of St Wilfrid’s School made the supreme sacrifice in France in the person of Private J Awcock, Scots Guards. His mother, who lives at 15 Mill Green Road, has received the following letter from the Rev. G. D. Low, Chaplain: - “It is with deep regret that I write to inform you that I write to inform you of the death, in action, of your son Private J. Awcock on the afternoon of Saturday October 12th. He was struck by a bullet and killed immediately, suffering no pain. The commanding officer, Colonel J.A. Stirling, D.S.O., M.C., wishes me to convey to you his sincere sympathy. Please accept my own. Your gallant son is mourned by us all, and had earned the esteem of the officers and the goodwill of all his comrades. He leaves an honourable memory among brave men. I shall try to send you details of his grave in due course. I trust you will be strengthened in the hour of your great sorrow.” Private Awcock was 33 years of age and unmarried and for many years was in the employ of Mr Finch, builder. He was a quiet, industrious young fellow and well liked. He was a keen footballer and used to keep goal for Lindfield. He was looking forward to being home shortly on leave. Much sympathy is felt for his mother (who is an invalid) and the members of the family.

On 31st May 1919 his mother was paid his money, including a £15 War Gratuity, a total of £30 19s.