Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-03-12, 00:01

Mary Prentice died 16th Nov 1862 at The Mount Braughing (Essex Standard 26th Nov 1862). I have a photo of several gravestones at Braughing churchyard including hers.
Merry - thank you again. This is all marvellous info... you must have access to wonderful records over in UK. Thanks also to everyone for enthralling discussions - and a few laughs!! Will keep watching these posts especially as I get nearer to arriving in UK. Merry - how do you feel about me copying some of those photos if it can be done through photobucket?? I respect your ownership so am asking permission first. Thanks for offer of copy of Wills - I have some (from UK National Archives online) but will need to check and see what I don't have... Jenny
Old 16-03-12, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
I saw Wally Grout make 100 at the Gabba when I was a wee little thing. My uncle knew him quite well...
My brother and I watched him one day at MCG, tried to speak with him afterwards but no luck.... recently saw release of a biography by his grandson, quite a sad story apparently of his 'other' life in which gambling was a problem... Thanks for your comments on threads, nice to hear another Aussie... Jenny
Old 16-03-12, 06:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenthec View Post
Mary Prentice died 16th Nov 1862 at The Mount Braughing (Essex Standard 26th Nov 1862). I have a photo of several gravestones at Braughing churchyard including hers.
Merry - thank you again. This is all marvellous info... you must have access to wonderful records over in UK. Thanks also to everyone for enthralling discussions - and a few laughs!! Will keep watching these posts especially as I get nearer to arriving in UK. Merry - how do you feel about me copying some of those photos if it can be done through photobucket?? I respect your ownership so am asking permission first. Thanks for offer of copy of Wills - I have some (from UK National Archives online) but will need to check and see what I don't have... Jenny
I think the only information I have about the Grouts, other than the photos, that was not an online source is the knowledge that there were a few graves to hunt out (there were lists of memorial inscriptions at the Herts Archives office). You are welcome to the photos of those too, but I think there were literally only a couple of legible Grout ones, though I was more interested in my Smiths at the time we visited, so maybe we didn't look for all the available Grouts (I don't remember! )

The newspaper records would be online via Gale for which I have a free sub via my local library. If you don't already have access I'm sure you can still get it from overseas, but I'm not sure which libraries still offer this, but I'm sure someone here will know.

You are very welcome to copy any of the photos I have on Photobucket. If they won't copy at a high enough resolution for your needs I have the original scans here and am happy to email any of those if that is preferable. (along with the graves which are not on photobucket) This is the shove I need to start on the next album!!!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-03-12, 10:31

Gale is available through most council libraries in Oz. If the local one doesn't have it, then the NLA (National Library of Australia) Qld and NSW State Library has it. They are free to join. You just apply online for a reader's card and can access the databases online.

The Burney Collection is also available.
Old 16-03-12, 11:30
Administrator

Thanks Libby.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-03-12, 04:41

Thanks Libby - that's the push I need to join Vic State and NLA Libraries and get reader's card - and I'm an ex-Teacher Librarian!!!
Old 17-03-12, 04:44

Wink Thanks

You are very welcome to copy any of the photos I have on Photobucket. If they won't copy at a high enough resolution for your needs I have the original scans here and am happy to email any of those if that is preferable. (along with the graves which are not on photobucket) This is the shove I need to start on the next album!!!!

Thanks so much Merry - I'll try and see how I go... looking forward to the next album but not too soon eh.... no pressure!!
Old 17-03-12, 06:29
Administrator

*has panic attack* lol!

Please don't get your hopes up too much - I think the Grouts were mainly in the one album!

Old 18-03-12, 02:42

No panic at all - I'm getting too busy here gettin gready for trip. No need for you to do anything for me to look at until after mid-year... enjoy your sunshine!!! Jenny
Old 10-04-12, 18:18

Hi All,

I don't know if I'm too late to make a useful contribution re the Grout lineage.

My brother who died last year spent some time researching the Grout/Williams family.

It is written up in a book published privately "A year at Chequers - 1875 The Diary of Georgiana Williams - with illustrations by her great niece Eleanor Irving.

In the family it has always been held that Joseph Grout was the real father of James Williams born at Mulbarton near Norwich on 24th May 1813. The mother Sarah Williams was a servant. Joseph Grout at that time had factories in Norwich. Joseph Grout always took an interest in James. Educated him at Greenwich and sent him to Cambridge.

One factor driving his interest was that although happily married since 1801 to Elizabeth
Clark - there were no children.

Joseph Grout's solution to his need for a legitimate heir was very practical. After his wife Elizabeth died in 1838 he encouraged his illegitimate, (adopted) son James to marry his neice Elizabeth, the daughter of his younger brother James Grout. The wedding took place at Stamford Hill on 12th May 1840 and the couple lived with Joseph Grout at his house there. Their eldest son Joseph Grout Williams was born in Stamford Hill in 1843.

In 1844 they all moved to Tring Park where the family lived until the house was sold by order of the Court of Chancerey to Baron Rothschild.

Joseph Grout Williams, who had inherited from his father/mother in 1871/72 planned to build a new house at Pendley Manor. While waiting for this house to be built in 1875 they all went to live at Chequers! Hence the title of the Diary.

Charles