Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-05-22, 14:15
Administrator

lol No worries Allan. Enjoy your visit to the cemetery!

I'm just off to visit various family graves at our local cemetery, armed with cleaning and gardening equipment as the council seem to have forgotten all about the place since the pandemic began.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-05-22, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
Libby - if only -
Is there a reason you don’t have it on the cert. Ours has had it forever and I don’t think it’s caused any issues.
Old 10-05-22, 22:17

It's probably down to the order in which the information is processed, Libby. Today, there can be nearly a month between death and the disposing of the body. (I think my aunt is still in sib's garage, two years after her death)
Old 10-05-22, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It's probably down to the order in which the information is processed, Libby. Today, there can be nearly a month between death and the disposing of the body. (I think my aunt is still in sib's garage, two years after her death)
Okay. We have a doctor’s cert to say the person is dead. It is a very basic thing that most people never see, as it only states the person’s name and when they died. It probably now has an identifying Medicare number or something similar. That is given to the funeral director just to say the person is actually dead. Then the next of kin or family fills in the death cert with the info they know…….name, dates, parents’ names, spouse’s name/s, childrens’ names and ages, etc. Then after that is given to the funeral director, they fill in the funeral and burial details and it is then filed with the registry office.

I presume it’s not your aunt’s body, rather her ashes??? In that case, the cremation details would be on the death cert. If you were looking to see where the ashes are, you could ring the crematorium and they would tell you it was with family.

Last edited by HarrysMum; 10-05-22 at 22:35.
Old 10-05-22, 22:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Is there a reason you don’t have it on the cert. Ours has had it forever and I don’t think it’s caused any issues.

The main reason for the introduction of civil death registration via the 1836 Registration Act was to enable further study on the causes of mortality. There was no need to record where the person was buried because that was of no interest to the authorities and as there was already quite a public outcry in many quarters against interference by the state in what was seen as a private matter, I expect it seemed sensible to keep the number of questions to a minimum.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-05-22, 09:58

Also, civil registration came in very shortly after the notoriety of Burke and Hare. I cannot imagine that the demand of the medical schools would have decreased, and there would have been a huge stigma if a certificate you might need for various purposes indicated that a body had been used to further medical science.