Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 26-05-16, 13:36
Administrator

OK, so who can we eliminate, if any!

Thomas Watson b abt 1841 was still single and living with his parents in 1881. He is recorded as deaf and dumb. It seems very unlikely Alpha would be his child.

We already know Elizabeth b abt 1843 is Alpha's aunt.

Marmaduke married Agnes Wilson in 1870. In 1881 they had two children b in Cononley aged 9 and 4 (EDIT one called Jackson, see next post), so they could have had Alpha in between.

Mary Ann b abt 1848 is single and living with parent(s) in 1871 and 1881 so she might have had Alpha illegitimately and let her married sister bring him up.

I can't find John (b abt 1850) after the 1871 census. This death could be his:

Deaths Dec 1878
WATSON John 27 Skipton 9a 31

but had he married?

I wondered about this marriage (relative of Agnes, above, possibly?)

Marriages Jun 1871

AIRTON Anthony Skipton 9a 70
EMMOTT Martha Ann Skipton 9a 70
WATSON John Skipton 9a 70 <<<<<<<<<
Wilson Elizabeth Skipton 9a 70 <<<<<<<<<

but I've not yet established they married each other. If John did marry Elizabeth then maybe she died in childbirth:

Deaths Jun 1875
Watson Elizabeth 24 Skipton 9a 29

I'll do a bit more looking.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-05-16, 13:41
Administrator

Hmmm, I had hoped Agnes and Elizabeth Wilson might be sisters, but, whilst I'm sure I'm looking at the right family for Agnes as she has a brother called Jackson, she doesn't seem to have a sibling named Elizabeth.

I'm also still trying to find the right Anthony Airton!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-05-16, 13:42
Administrator

I should think the best way to find out for sure would be for Nerrida to order the birth certificate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-05-16, 13:53
Administrator

Hmmm. there is an Elizabeth Wilson of the right age (to fit with that death in 1875) on the 1851 - 1871 census in Cononley. She switches from being the granddaughter to the niece of the same head of house so it might take some work to see exactly who she is.

You know you are going to have to get the birth cert for Alpha in the end?!!

Old 26-05-16, 13:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I should think the best way to find out for sure would be for Nerrida to order the birth certificate.
Exactly! lol

Old 26-05-16, 14:38
Administrator

Well, it looks like John Watson did marry Elizabeth Wilson. I think this first entry below should say her age!

From St John's Parish Church Cononley Monumental Inscriptions pdf:

D26 In affectionate remembrance of ELIZABETH the beloved wife of
JOHN WATSON of Cononley who died April 13th 1875 in the 25th year of his (?) age

D34 In loving memory of GEORGE WATSON of Cononley who died August 30 t h 1885 aged 75 years.
Also JANE his wife who died July l4th 1889 aged 71 years. Also THOMAS their son who died August 29th 1885 aged 43 years.
Also MARY ANN their daughter who died January 21 st 1897 aged 48 years. "Sweet rest at last"

Old 26-05-16, 18:51

Marriage:

First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Wilson
Age Full
Birth year -
Marriage year 1871
Marriage date 08 Apr 1871
Marriage place Kildwick
Residence Cononley
Father's first name(s) Isaac
Father's last name Wilson
Spouse's first name(s) John
Spouse's last name Watson
Spouse's age Full
Spouse's residence Cononley
Spouse's father's first name(s) George
Spouse's father's last name Watson

One of the witnesses was Susannah Wilson. The other witness was also a Wilson, but I can't read the name. Maybe Ann.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-05-16 at 18:58.
Old 27-05-16, 05:28

There is a short article in Trove containing much of the information you have already outlined....presume you may have seen it.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ar...tern+Australia
Old 27-05-16, 05:52

A Western Australian death certificate is pretty informative...if the relevant details were known to the informant. It would list parents, mother's maiden name, father's occupation, children both living and dead, occupation, and time spent in the State.

However, my Irish grand mother's death cert, issued in a comparable period, is full of errors simply because the informant was unaware of much of her back ground.

You can download the application form online, but certs must be applied for via the post.

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps...x/default.aspx
Old 27-05-16, 06:53
Administrator

Quote:
if the relevant details were known to the informant. It would list parents, mother's maiden name, father's occupation, children both living and dead, occupation, and time spent in the State.
I used this search form:

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps...x/default.aspx

I clicked Deaths and on the next page if I entered Watson and 1938-1938 then I got 19 results with Alpha's being the second one. I then went back to the search, left the surname and date as before and added various forenames one at a time in either the father or mother boxes. I used the names that had come up in this thread plus several other common ones - maybe ten or twelve names altogether but at no point did I get any result suggesting none of the 19 deaths had any of those names recorded as their parents. I could see it would be pretty likely Alpha's parent's names might not be known, but it seemed unlikely I would get no results al all unless searching on parent's names for deaths doesn't work and you have to wait and see what is on the cert?

Anyway, as it's available, getting the birth cert would be the safest option!