Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 22-10-15, 21:53
Administrator

The BBC News report just says that "In addition, not everyone's details will be released. Those who featured in the 1939 register but who are younger than 100 today will have entries relating to them redacted. This applies unless it's proved that they have died, by researchers cross-referring with births, deaths and marriages data."

I assume the "researchers" mentioned are people doing their own family trees, not the FMP employees who are putting the database online. So you would need to prove that someone born less than 100 years ago is dead before you can see their records.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-10-15, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I have read that they will be using pension records and NI numbers to estabish who has died. Can't see it myself. Why would the government make that information available to a commercial company?

Sadly, I can't join in the excitement over this release as I doubt it will tell me anything I don't already know - all my mysteries are much further back than 1939. Looking forward to hearing about other people's brick walls falling over, though.

OC
I thought it may help me with Peter Henry Harrison but it won't, as the question 'place of birth' wasn't asked. Like OC, I think I know about mine in 1939.

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 24-10-15 at 11:35.
Old 23-10-15, 08:46
Administrator

There doesn't seem to be any "Findmypast Fridays" release this week. Does that mean they're working flat out on the 1939 Register?

Old 23-10-15, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There doesn't seem to be any "Findmypast Fridays" release this week. Does that mean they're working flat out on the 1939 Register?
I've been wondering about the FMP Friday release too. I hope you are right about the 1939 register, although I want to see my grandparents and they didn't die in the UK so they wont be there.

My great grandparents will be though so that is exciting. Depending when in 1939 the register was taken I might see a redacted line for my grandma with her parents. Not sure what my Grandad was doing that year.

ooh, ooh, ooh. Just worked out Grandma would have been 100 last year so she will be there.

Last edited by Kit; 23-10-15 at 12:36.
Old 23-10-15, 13:10
Administrator

Someone asked them why no "Findmypast Fridays" today on Facebook, and they replied: "We haven’t updated any new Friday records today but we have some exciting news early next week. More records are coming, so watch this space…"

Old 23-10-15, 15:39

Any bets on whether the site will crash when the 1939 register goes live through sheer volume of traffic?
Old 23-10-15, 16:16

I am still waiting for the Somerset and Gloucestershire school records. I think I might have to wait some time. I know where my grandparents were in 1939 so I am not expecting any suprises.
Old 23-10-15, 16:27
maggie_4_7

I am excited about this but I don't think it will help me much.

My mother and father were born 1921 and 1919 respectively. So neither will be on there for two reasons Mother or Father isn't 100 years old yet and Father was born and lived in Scotland and all my Scottish family would have been too. My close English family I pretty much know about them and where they were.

But there might be some nuggets in there that I haven't hought about.

I did actually buy my mothers a few years back when I proved my relationship and that she had died.didn't give me much detail to be honest.
Old 24-10-15, 09:06
Administrator

Quote:
So you would need to prove that someone born less than 100 years ago is dead before you can see their records.
I wonder how much proof they would need? Imagine providing a death cert for a John Smith who was on the 1939 register aged 20 (for instance) So, you show them a death cert for someone the right age - do they care if it belongs to the right person? Maybe it's like when the MoD ask for 'proof' of a person's death before they let you see army records?!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-10-15, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
Any bets on whether the site will crash when the 1939 register goes live through sheer volume of traffic?
There are bonuses for being downunder. Less likelihood of crashing.

Quote:
I wonder how much proof they would need? Imagine providing a death cert for a John Smith who was on the 1939 register aged 20 (for instance) So, you show them a death cert for someone the right age - do they care if it belongs to the right person? Maybe it's like when the MoD ask for 'proof' of a person's death before they let you see army records?!
I've wondered, too, what they would need. I have my grandparents Aussie death certs so could prove they are dead but is that enough.

To my shame I got grandma's year of birth wrong so she wont be there when the records are released.