Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 13-06-12, 16:39

Asked about buying copy microfiche.

Can't supply as they don't have copyright.

OK I understand that but their answer after that is ridiculous.

I am afraid that in the case of the Parish of Rangeworthy permission has not been granted, we do not hold copyright and so are unable to supply duplicate copies of the fiche. We are able to supply a paper copy of an individual BMD entry from these fiche for a charge of £6.00 per entry if the exact date, name and event is supplied. On receipt of a completed order form and remittance, we will conduct a search for the entry on the date supplied by you, but cannot guarantee that this event will be found on that date. The stated fee on the form includes both the time it takes to search for the event and to have one copy produced of the entry. However, if the search is not successful, this fee will cover the search time onl

If I knew the exact dates then why would I need the info from them?

I have told that that in a reply email.
Old 13-06-12, 17:02

I suspect that they're just covering their backs Marg! I'd have thought that the details you've supplied from their database should be enough.
Were you hoping to browse the Rangeworthy Prs by buying a copy of the fiche? As they can't supply that they're just saying that they won't do it for you! Some Archives will do something like that for an hourly charge with no guarantees but it can work out very expensive.
The Settlement/Removal papers may give you a lot of the information.
Old 13-06-12, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
I suspect that they're just covering their backs Marg! I'd have thought that the details you've supplied from their database should be enough.
Were you hoping to browse the Rangeworthy Prs by buying a copy of the fiche? As they can't supply that they're just saying that they won't do it for you! Some Archives will do something like that for an hourly charge with no guarantees but it can work out very expensive.
The Settlement/Removal papers may give you a lot of the information.
Yes I'm ordering those overseers records.

I asked them about buying copy fiche for the parish registers.

It just annoyed me that they would need the exact date of a baptism, marriage, burial before they could supply me with any info. I wanted to buy the fiche to get that info. If I knew it already then I wouldn't have asked to buy the fiche.
Old 13-06-12, 20:37

Marg, if they are anything like our local archives, they are hugely overstretched, with masses of admin to do and very little time even for cataloguing & conservation.

Now that I have home internet, I'm able to do "proper" research but am finding that some searches which ought to be simple are taking forever: poor quality images, entries not in chronological order etc etc.

The staff are unlikely to be deliberately obstructive (though I have met a few!) just very overworked and unable to spend much time on queries. Our staffing levels are down by 25%, in the whole arts sector over 30 people were made redundant, and those remaining have to take on extra duties.
Old 14-06-12, 09:31

I know that Phoenix but it just seemed such a stupid thing to put.

If they don't have copyright then I can't see the records being online in the future either with Family Search or any other.

I debated writing to the Incumbent at the church to ask why permission hasn't been given.
Old 14-06-12, 10:43

It gets harder as we get older (!) but I usually wait for the incumbents to move on. There are all sorts of reasons for incumbents refusing to allow parish registers to be made generally available - from religious, which I respect, to sheer bloodymindedness, which I don't - but I would imagine that all the counter arguments have already been put to them. Usually the new incumbent is all too glad to rid themselves of unnecessary correspondence
Old 14-06-12, 10:58
Administrator

Can you order a microfilm to your nearest Family History Centre, Marg?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-06-12, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It gets harder as we get older (!) but I usually wait for the incumbents to move on. There are all sorts of reasons for incumbents refusing to allow parish registers to be made generally available - from religious, which I respect, to sheer bloodymindedness, which I don't - but I would imagine that all the counter arguments have already been put to them. Usually the new incumbent is all too glad to rid themselves of unnecessary correspondence

Had a reply from them today suggesting I write to the incumbent to ask his permission. I'll think about it.

Problem being they are only available on microfilm which I could view at Burton library (if the reels are the same and their machine is very old and you have to steady the reel as you try to read it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Can you order a microfilm to your nearest Family History Centre, Marg?

Nearest one is Lichfield Kate which is difficult to get to. I don't drive and I can't see OH taking me. He's bored with FH these days.

Old 20-06-12, 16:16

Received the removal orders from Gloucester.

They aren't actually about Nathaniel and Eliza but their son Samuel. Loads of info I don't have on him though. Married with 10 kids. Nathaniel and Eliza are mentioned as in Samuel is their son.

I will be searching through this later. Will post on research board if I get stuck.

Tags
to4g45