Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 10-06-12, 01:48
geniebug

Default James Miller

Name - "official" name and what they were known as James Miller
Date and place of birth N/A
Names of parents N/A
Date and place of baptism - if applicable N/A
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any N/A
Occupation(s) - if any N/A
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Date, place and cause of death N/A
Date and place of burial. N/A
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

All I know of this person is that his daughter Mary was baptised at Mitcheldean, Glos on 19th June 1777, citing parents as James and Mary.
Mary Miller married Joseph Evans, both of full age, married at Gloucester St. Michael on 6th September 1809. They were both residing in Gloucester, the marriage was by banns, and the witnesses were Elizabeth Blossom and George [illegible] It says the names of witnesses were not clear - I suspect Blossom is wrong (Bloxsom or some variant seems more likely)

Mary Evans died in 1854 at Charlton Kings on March 15th, aged 76

The genealogical database at Glos Archives http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx lists the will of Mary Miller, widow, of Mitcheldean in May 1811. If this is Mary's mother the will might just be late enough to mention her as Mary Evans (bearing in mind this is the probate date). I don't know where to search for the Will though. Details of Will are Catalog Wills 1801-1858, Parish, Mitcheldean, ref 181/86 Year 1811

Last edited by geniebug; 10-06-12 at 02:25.
Old 10-06-12, 11:43

The will is available from Glos Archives - should have mentioned that when I pointed it out in FTF. They charge £5 plus £1 postage for a copy (which I guess will be a printout from the microfilm). No, for overseas it's £6.50, including postage, I think. If you can wait a few months I can do a copy for you when I visit the Archives (I'm too far away to go more than two or three times a year) - that will be free if you just have my photos.

scuda
Old 10-06-12, 11:45
geniebug

What do you mean "that will that will be free if you just have my photos".

Do you mean, photographing them? (I didn't quite understand)
Old 10-06-12, 12:33

What I mean is, if I just take photos of the display on the microfilm/microfiche reader, it doesn't cost me, therefore it won't cost you. To be absolutely correct, it costs £5 for a camera pass for a day, but as I buy that anyway, for my things, a few photos for you wouldn't make any difference. The downside is that the photos don't give a very clear copy because of centre is much brighter than the edges, but most of the time they're legible.

scuda
Old 11-06-12, 08:37
Administrator

Another child of James and Mary Miller baptised at Mitcheldean (from FamilySearch):

Elizabeth 24 Jun 1772 died 8 Apr 1774 (this may mean buried)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-06-12, 08:43

Another child may be Thomas, baptised at Mitcheldean 23 May 1769, surname Myler .

www.forest-of-dean.net

scuda
Old 11-06-12, 11:24
geniebug

Thanks you Scuda & Kate for the updates. Strange one birth was in family search and the other on the forest-of-dean site!

Would the marriage be there somewhere prior or nearly 1769 in order of find out he mother's name?

Thanks again for your wonderful help - its the first time I have had a 4th g/parent and now a 5th g/parent!
Old 11-06-12, 12:21

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you register with www.forest-of-dean.net, and do your own searches there. Elizabeth's baptism is there, it's just that I assumed you would have registered when I first mentioned the site, so hadn't drawn your attention to it. Her burial is there, too. BUT, I don't think they were really a Mitcheldean family - the F-o-D site shows only 3 Miller (etc) burials there: 1699, 1702, plus Elizabeth's in 1774.

scuda
Old 12-06-12, 11:43
geniebug

Quote:
I suggest you register with www.forest-of-dean.net,

Yes, Scuda, I had already registered when you suggested it. Will let you know how I get on - and thanks.

Tags
to4g45