Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-05-13, 19:13
Administrator

Default Changes coming to ancestry?

I went onto ancestry.com (i.e. the US site) to look at something and I saw an advert which said something along the lines of "Coming soon - a new look and feel to your search results." I don't know whether it was an old advert about the "new search" or if they are bringing in a new new one! I was in too much of a hurry to do my lookup so I didn't click on the advert, and now of course I can't get it to appear again.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-05-13, 19:17
maggie_4_7

Oh that doesn't bode well another enhancement to keep the web designers in work that will upset the users!
Old 08-05-13, 19:19
Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised if they revamped their search so it was more along the lines of the FamilySearch one and the findmypast international one, i.e. using JavaScript (I think it is, well something like that), so it's all new-fangled and modern and everything. But I don't really like that kind of thing myself.

Old 08-05-13, 19:50

They have been telling me since Feb (I think) that this month they will change the way I add facts, and this will be permanent. On about the fifth of each month, they move the date forwards by a month.

I hate change so much, I have only just discovered that Discovery has been revamped to pick up the entries that were falling through the net.
Old 08-05-13, 19:59

I wish they'd leave it alone - Ancestry has the best search interface of any of the major sites, in my opinion. FMP and Familysearch are both really irritating to use.
Old 08-05-13, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I wish they'd leave it alone - Ancestry has the best search interface of any of the major sites, in my opinion. FMP and Familysearch are both really irritating to use.
It depends where you start from. I use the new search on Ancestry and find myself time & again having to find the info on fmp because Ancestry seems to ignore some of the search terms (if someone was born in London, it seems to list all the London residents before condescending to suggest the county you have searched on) And you can't sort the retreived data, or skip five pages of results etc etc etc.
Old 08-05-13, 21:52
Administrator

Any particular reason you use the new search, Phoenix?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Administrator

Can't you switch back to the old search, Phoenix? Or is it the library edition, which I don't think lets you?

Aside - familysearch has gone quite mad, in my opinion.

On another forum, a few of us searched in vain for a known event, using all/none of the known (and correct) facts. Eventually we found it by using one name only and no other criteria at all - up it popped! Most unhelpful if you are looking for a marriage, say, which you KNOW took place in England.

OC
Old 08-05-13, 22:08

Ancestry made me feel like I was the only person in the world using old search when I logged a few bugs with them. Glad to see some allies on here !

I guess they are spending lots on new data sources to keep ahead of the competition and the user interface comes second.