Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-04-13, 08:32
tenterfieldjulie

Absolutely .. utter nonsense ..
Old 15-04-13, 09:34

The number of trees that still have William Ketley, who died aged 9 months, as my great grandfather....lol
Old 15-04-13, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
The number of trees that still have William Ketley, who died aged 9 months, as my great grandfather....lol
No Libby, it must be right cos it's on the the Internet.
Old 15-04-13, 11:33
tenterfieldjulie

Amazing isn't it .. It's like saying it's got to be right it's on a certificate or in an obit ....
then when you show them they contradict each other .. and both are possibly wrong!! wowee
Some people still insist that their name can only be spelt one way !!! Hellooo .. their marriage cert was signed with a cross .. How would they know how it was spelt lol Laugh or cry ..
Old 15-04-13, 11:59

That was one of the things that made me go private in the first place - the dozens of trees of people who are descended from an ancestor's sibling when I know he died as an infant - they're actually descended from the father's second marriage but after showing several people the evidence and not being believed you do think why bother
Old 15-04-13, 21:50

I had a good snigger this morning at Heir Hunters. He said "The trouble with internet trees is that sometimes there can be inputting errors".

I thought that was extremely tactful of him because the name of the supposed bride bore no resemblance to the truth and could not possibly have been down to an inputting error!

OC
Old 15-04-13, 22:01
tenterfieldjulie

"Inputting error" ......... "Inputting!!!!"
I remember a critique of how badly English is written now, by supposedly educated people, which said that lots of words are used to confuse and make out the writer knows what they are talking about .. hmmh
(PS I mangle it but I am not educated lol) Julie
Old 16-04-13, 11:10

My new contact has been very careful. She is descended from my great-great grandfather's first wife and I'm descended from his second wife. Before we exchanged information, she said she felt reassured giving me access because as I don't have a tree on Ancestry. Like many of you, she is uncomfortable with her research being there for all to see - which is why her tree is private. We are now exchanging into by email and have been helping each other fill in the gaps.
Old 18-04-13, 11:55

Asa

No one who knows you could possibly think you are mean-spirited! You've been a great help to me in my research. I think its foolish to let anyone have info they don't value. My tree is private on Ancestry but I will share with people who can show a genuine interest. I tend to give guarded responses at first to ensure I'm not just going to have my tree copied wholesale.

But generally speaking, most people are fine with allowing access to their info or acknowledging help I've given.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 18-04-13, 12:05
tenterfieldjulie

I've got to say that I'm happy to share, if a person contacts me, but that I have never made my tree available online and I have had a number of versions of FTM. In saying that, I've got to admit that I am now looking at trees on Ancestry to give me guides. Especially when I am looking for a person who I have not researched before. When I can see obvious mistakes on a tree, then I am very suspicious of the information. It can however guide me in the right or wrong direction. I am not confident unless I have checked the info as far as poss. I was amused the other day to see where a person had attached a number of census to their tree as proof of names. It included about 12 children, but when I looked at the children's names on the tree, they only had three, so they had the information there, but hadn't put it on their tree. Julie