Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-05-22, 18:56

Sorry merry i didn't see that census . and yes that's correct as he was a tailor .
Old 20-05-22, 19:05

Have you got a copy of that census , i can't find it on free cen , Thanks
Old 20-05-22, 20:18
Administrator

Ormskirk isn't transcribed on FreeCEN for 1841.

It's here on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2G-6T3

If the link doesn't work just search him, b 1826 Ormskirk and it was the sixth match on the census results list.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-05-22, 04:09

thanks merry , i managed to get it through the link , i hope they all didn't live in the same house , lol . so james was an apprentice tailor .thats very interesting .
Old 21-05-22, 05:32

once again you are a star , I want to thank you so much for all of your help through the past years , i know it's been a struggle for you lol , but we always get there ! in the end lol you have helped me so much , and found all these wonderful snippets of ancestors lives . It colours in some of the grey areas of the past , and brings them to life . I was unfortunate not to know a lot of my grandparents , so it means so much to me to find all these things ..you have the patience of a saint lol ,as i said my sight is not the best , and i miss things which are simple , But you always make sure i get it correct . . you have contributed so much for me . But i think i have learned a lot from you , although i still think i've a long way to go Lol So a big Thank You x
Old 21-05-22, 07:26
Administrator

Quote:
i hope they all didn't live in the same house
They were all classed as in the same house (ie the same front door) but the family (7 people) were recorded as a separate household from the rest who were a household of 8 people.

James Balshaw lived in Aughton St through to 1871. I can't be sure he is in the same house, but the household was always large (never 15 though, maybe 7-10 individuals). In 1871 the house is given a number - 47. I looked at number 47 in 1891 onwards where information about the property is asked for. In 1891 and 1901 just the number of rooms if less than 5 is requested, but nothing is filled in, suggesting 5 or more rooms. In 1911 the question is The number of rooms, including the kitchen but excluding scullery, lobby or closet, office or shop. This time it says 7 rooms.

Of course we don't know for sure if the houses had been knocked down and rebuilt, or renumbered etc etc during those decades, but looking at these photos:

https://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/n...treet-11049144

you see most of the properties have Georgian style sash windows with 6-12 glazed sections, suggesting the buildings were pre-Victorian, so very likely the sort of building number 47 would have been part of. 7 rooms for 15 people would warrant an article in the tabloids today, but wouldn't have been classed as particularly overcrowded in 1841.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-05-22, 08:11

Thanks merry , that's a lovely pic . yes i agree the houses look pretty big . some of them still exist . i have joined the ormskirk bygone days site , they have some interesting info all about ormskirk people etc . I haven't been to ormskirk for a couple of years it's a nice sweet place , surrounded by a lot of farmland , a lot of veg etc are grown around that part for lancashire and beyond . it was really bustling in the 1800s looking at some of the old photos on ormskirk bygone days . So was moor st and church st . It's a busy place as edge hill university is only a couple of miles away so it attracts a lot of people from outside the area . Thanks