Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-08-17, 23:17
geniebug

Thanks Mary, I think I'll have to do some more work on that Cook family and see how they could be related to the Plasto family.
Old 19-08-17, 08:52
Administrator

I saw that Martha Cook/Prior was living with two 'relatives' in 1911 but they both seem to have Prior connections rather than Cook:

Thomas Woodland married Mary Jane Prior in 1869 and Elizabeth Napper Prior married Orlando John Maylett in 1871.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-08-17, 21:45
geniebug

It is confusing that there are two Martha Cooks for a start. But the Martha I am talking about - would not even have known she was going to marry a Prior in the 1871 census. However, I will check back on the Prior side.
Old 20-08-17, 06:57
Administrator

I didn't know there were two Martha Cooks!

I didn't mean Martha and Henry Plasto might be relations of Mr Prior as, as you say, Martha Cook wasn't related to him by 1871.

The Prior relatives Martha is shown with are on the 1911 census. The point is, I didn't know they were Prior relatives until I looked into their backgrounds - I was hoping one or both of them would turn out to be Plasto or Price relatives - then they might well have backed up the presumed 1871 relationships that we can't solve at the moment. I was just pointing out Thomas Woodland and Elizabeth Napper Maylett were not going to help with that as they seem to be relations of Martha's late husband rather than Martha herself.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-08-17, 07:07
geniebug

One was the daughter of Daniel & Sally Cook (b1849) - the other was Daniels sister Martha (b?) - their parents were Thomas Cook & Elizabeth Fisher.

I don't have a marriage for Martha (of Thomas Cook/Elizabeth Fisher) but Daniels daughter was the one who married George Arnell Prior

I just can 't find the link that Martha was a niece of Henry Plasto

Its a mystery.
Old 20-08-17, 08:05
Administrator

Looking at the next gen back for everyone to see if any surnames match....

Martha Price (later Plasto) bap 1813 Titchfield. Parents William and Ann (Ancestry).

Likely marriage for Martha's parents (FMP):

William Price and Ann Hurry at Titchfield in 1795.

Henry Plasto bap 1814 Portsmouth. Parents Daniel and Frances (Ancestry)

Likely marriage for Henry's parents:

Daniel Plasto and Frances Fisher at Alverstoke in 1807.

I don't know if you already have the grandparents of Martha Cook?

I can't find online records that would cover the baptism of Martha Cook's father Daniel Cook if he was baptised at Sheet (his census birthplace). However, I did see a baptism at Petersfield (really close to Sheet) in 1817 for a Daniel Cook, parents Thomas and Elizabeth Cook (Ancestry). We already know that Daniel Cook's mother was named Elizabeth as she appears with him on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. From the censuses, she was born about 1781 at Sheet.

I looked for a marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth and saw this one (FMP):

Thomas Cook and Elizabeth Fisher at Petersfield in 1802.

This completely distracted me from looking at the last person, Sally Philps!

Of course the name Fisher isn't particularly uncommon, but it still seemed worth trying to see if there was any possibility Elizabeth and Frances might perhaps be sisters.

Frances Fisher/Plasto appears on the 1841 census but not the 1851, where Daniel is a widower. In 1841 she listed as aged 64 and born in County and at her death in Q4 1850 she is 72.

There is a baptism in Petersfield in 1778 (FMP) for a Frances Fisher who was born 5 Dec 1777 which seems likely. The parents have v common names though - John and Mary.

There is a baptism (FMP) at Petersfield for an Elizabeth Fisher, dau of John and Mary in 1781. The notes say her dob was 11 Jan 1781 and the family were 'of Steep' which is probably Sheet!

So, as this Elizabeth fits with the 1851 census Elizabeth Cook and Frances is a less common name, I will put my money on the two of them being the people we are looking for and that they are sisters!

So, how does that make Martha Cook (b 1849) and her 'aunt and uncle' Henry and Martha Plasto related??!!!

Elizabeth Fisher sister of Frances Fisher
son Daniel Cook............son Henry Plasto
dau Martha Cook........

So, Daniel Cook and Henry Plasto are first cousins and Martha Cook is Henry Plasto's first cousin once removed.

I expect they knew they were not uncle and niece as written on the 1871 census, but, after all, who would be worrying about the exact relationship???!!! lol

Old 20-08-17, 08:06
Administrator

Sorry, I hadn't seen your last post when I started mine!

Old 20-08-17, 08:28
geniebug

Merry I will have another look at this in the morning - I need a fresh mind!

Thanks for your efforts, you've done a lot.
Old 20-08-17, 09:06
Administrator

I've had a little look for Daniel Cook's sister, Martha, who was bap at Petersfield in 1820. I've not found anything more yet.

Old 20-08-17, 17:28
Administrator

Quote:
The notes say her dob was 11 Jan 1781 and the family were 'of Steep' which is probably Sheet!
Actually, Steep is a separate place but Steep and Sheet are right next to each other, half a mile covers both, so probably not too vital!