Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 25-11-16, 12:38
Administrator

if you search on the main page (Search All Records) the name Elise Bradbury you should get 25 matches as her first name is rare. If you look on the first page of the matches about half way down there are three results with no name listed for 1928, 30 and 1931. Those are the electoral roll results I looked at. I know you can browse them by street if you know where to look, but you can't search by name along with any other criteria to help reduce the number of results. That's fine if you are looking for a rare name, like Elise or Claude Bradbury, but not for the John Smiths of this world!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-16, 13:25

Got it!

I've tried the newspapers on FMP without any result either and the passenger lists.

Last edited by Anstey Nomad; 25-11-16 at 13:30.
Old 30-11-16, 11:58

I've now asked the Record Office to check the electoral rolls for 1932-39 (inclusive) and will see what comes back.
Old 06-12-16, 11:34

Here it is:

"I had a look at the electoral roll for 1932-39 for Bodnant Avenue and found Claude William only on one of them: in 1932, with Phyllis and Elsie Bradbury. Between 1933 and 38 there are Phyllis, Elsie and Dennis recorded and in 1939 it’s the three of them with the addition of Joan Bradbury but no more Claude."

Dang!
Old 25-07-17, 11:17

This is still bumping around in the back of my mind. I've looked at trees on Ancestry and Claude appears in four of them. Looking at the trees themselves, they know who his parents were and when he was born, but that's pretty much it, although one has found the trip to Hamburg in 1925.

The fact that he was going to Hamburg as a fifteen year old rather indicates that there was still a connection at that point with the Ju(e)hrs family in the Hannover area and I'm wondering whether he went over there as an impressionable fifteen year old and then went back when he was of age and no-one could stop him. After all, the 1930s were an exciting time in Germany.

How would I look for him in Germany? I've tried googling, but nothing much is coming up. Any ideas?
Old 25-07-17, 12:28

In the meantime, I've ordered his mother's Will.
Old 28-07-17, 08:46

Result! Claude’s mother’s Will has arrived in a record breaking three days. It was made in 1966 and there are legacies of household effects, £500 and a share of the residue to ‘my son Claude William Bradbury’. So, we know he was alive in 1966, but where? No addresses are given.

The grandchildren mentioned in the Will are the daughters of his sister and brother respectively, although not all her grandchildren are mentioned, so no direct lead there. The Executors are her bank and her older daughter.

Onwards.

Last edited by Anstey Nomad; 28-07-17 at 09:00.
Old 07-08-17, 15:21

After a week of fruitless search for the two grand daughters mentioned in Louise's Will, I've ordered Phyllis Dorothy's Will as well. She seems to have been the 'organiser' of the family, so I'm hoping her Will was in good order.
Old 09-08-17, 13:46

Another Will received in three days!

Yes, it's all in good order, but sadly, there is no mention of Claude. The executors and principal beneficiaries are the younger sister, Joan Sabina, her husband and daughter. There is however a long list of small legacies to people whose names I don’t recognise (ie they are not family), including one in Australia.

The trail on the niece is still warm. She only sold the family home eleven months ago, so that and the Australian connection are my next steps.
Old 09-08-17, 20:32

Swing me the Aussie ones if you like. I went through Trove looking for Claude, but so far only found the one you mentioned.
I have Bradburys but they are earlier than your lot.