Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 31-12-13, 09:41

There is an Arthur Grigg on the same page in the index whose marriage was registered in the Strand district.
Old 31-12-13, 09:45
tenterfieldjulie

That is interesting Asa .. Joseph would have been 15 1/2. Joseph's father was a coach body maker and Ellen's brother/uncle, John Bryant, was manager of a coach building firm at Leighton Buzzard .. so all the dots connect ..
Old 31-12-13, 09:47
tenterfieldjulie

Shona I have only scant knowledge of London districts. Would St Martin in the fields (which I have by chance visited, when I visited the National Gallery) be considered part of The Strand?
Old 31-12-13, 10:10
Administrator

St Martin in the Fields was in Strand district between 1868-1913.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-12-13, 10:15
Administrator

Julie, I have this pdf file saved on my desktop. Very useful!

England and Wales Registration District Index

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-12-13, 10:20

There's a marvellous photo of Ellen's grandfather, Joseph, attached to one of the public trees on ancestry.
Old 31-12-13, 10:41
tenterfieldjulie

Yes it is and there is another photo of 3 of his sons and they are peas out of a pod ..
I visited a cousin this afternoon who surname is Bryant and the family likeness is still there. Joseph is our 2xgrt grandfather. I found his headstone (the last one I looked at) at St. Teath last year.
Old 31-12-13, 10:49

As Joseph and Anna baptised Ellen as their daughter, I wonder if she knew that they were actually her grandparents. The birth cert may reveal the truth about her parentage.
Old 31-12-13, 11:48
tenterfieldjulie

Yes I think that I will have to get the certificate. The only reason why I query who her birth parents are is that on the 1861 Census at Altarnun Cornwall Ellen is clearly written as grand daughter 4 and Emily as dau 2 .. both girls were baptised on the same day. Maybe it was easier to say to the minister she was their daughter. Anna gave birth to her first child in 1838 and the last in 1867. Most people would have accepted Ellen as Joseph and Anna's daughter but I would like to know if Ellen knew. This is why I think I'd prefer to get a copy of the marriage cert rather than her birth. Her birth will probably only name the mother not the father... Very muddled.
Old 31-12-13, 13:12

There's something odd about FMP's coverage of St Martin in the Fields. They claim coverage of marriages from 1757 to 1946, but there's a big gap between about 1836 and 1890. Ancestry are supposed to have all the images but haven't yet published and indexed them all. Theirs stop in 1834, but more are promised "soon".