Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-06-16, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
Just bumping this thread in case Libby missed post 33.
Sorry Mary....my brain was telling me I'd answered that...lol.

I did look at it and it seemed to want over 8 pounds to look at it and copy one page, and then give me a quote for the rest. I could afford 8 pounds, but not sure I want to pay that to find I've got the cover page and it's another 50 pounds for the rest.

I asked for a quote for something ages ago and was told over 200pounds, and they couldn't tell me if the family was mentioned other than the one time.
Old 16-06-16, 00:38

Oh, that's a pity - I hadn't realised they'd changed their system. They used to give you a free estimate.

Still, it's worth bearing in mind in case anyone offers look-ups at the National Archives in future.
Old 28-08-17, 02:08

I came across the TNA entry from post 35 today, and realised it might be worth following up.

I wrongly said upthread that Ransford was one of Agatha's executors, but her administrator was actually William Minet. The defendants Bates and Ransford were her mother Elizabeth Ariel's administrators.

So I'm wondering whether Agatha's estate sued her mother's administrators?

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-08-17 at 02:15.
Old 28-08-17, 03:38

Her mother, Elizabeth was the one who's will was overturned and she was declared intestate. That always amused me because she was married, I didn't think she could be intestate.
Old 28-08-17, 12:36

However, if I remember rightly, administration was granted with the will annexed, so although I'm no expert in these things, I think that means that the terms of her will would have been carried out.

Also if I remember rightly, the last payment from the trust fund was made in 1857, which is the date of this administration summons, so I wonder if Agatha's husband took action to get some money from the trust fund?
Old 28-08-17, 19:22

I don't know. I know Elizabeth's son, Myles came to Australia with his wife and children in the 1850s.

Myles went missing (seems to be an Ariel thing) and after Lucretia died, his wife applied for money from her will. I really think Elizabeth's money went completely to her husband, then he remarried and changed his will for everything to go to his new wife. A few months later he was dead as well.
Old 28-08-17, 21:36

It's irritating not to know what happened in 1857. I wonder if Phoenix has any plans to go to Kew?