Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-03-17, 15:28
Administrator

Hmm, there is a Beniamin Cooper baptised 11 Mar 1653 at Barking, Essex, son of John Cooper. Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree here (sorry, couldn't resist). Might need to take out a short sub to SEAX...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-03-17, 17:25
Administrator

I'd looked at this before I found the connection with Virginia, and of course now I think he must be connected to my John Cooper but John isn't named in the will as far as I have made out so far (still need to read through it properly):
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/17...cklabel=Return
William Cooper of Mile End, Stepney, mariner, setting sail for Virginia, proved 1686.

Assuming this is the same William Cooper as on Benjamin's indenture, it does look as though some of these merchants also described themselves as mariners, Merry!

Old 06-03-17, 17:39
Administrator

Burial at Stepney 9 Sep 1684: Anne, wife of Wm Cooper of Mileend, mariner. That would be the reason why he wrote a will / power of attorney on the 4th Nov 1684. His will leaves everything to his daughter Mary Cooper, or if she is deceased, to his friend Peter Rogers of Mile End, blacksmith.

Old 08-08-17, 16:13
Administrator

I see there is a John Cooper / Barbera Vinabeles marriage 13 Jul 1665 at Droxford, Hampshire; just trying to figure out whether I can rule it out for my John.

(Recap so people don't have to reread the whole thread - my John Cooper was a tobacco merchant / mariner in London; he and his first wife Barbara had a son James born 6 Aug 1666 at Ratcliff, Stepney, London, and another son named John born 1672 also at Ratcliff. Barbara died Mar 1674 Ratcliff.

Old 08-08-17, 17:11
Administrator

There is a John Venables of Ropley, Hampshire, whose will proved at the PCC 25 Mar 1657 (signed 10 Dec 1656) mentions his son John Venables of Sutton, daughters Martha Venables and Olive Venables (Olive being under 21) and "naturall daughter" Barbara Venables, also under 21. Then the will of John Venables of Sutton, proved 8 Nov 1658, I assume the son of the first John, mentions his son John and another child on the way, and wife Barbarah.

So either of those Barbaras could be the one who married a John Cooper at Droxford in 1665, but I still don't know whether they are the same people as my John Cooper and Barbara.

Olive could be the one who married a Richard Smithson 7 Nov 1661 at St Mary Abbots, Kensington, but I have got nowhere with them yet either.