Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-10-20, 04:13

Question Phillip Growt 1686 Parents

Hello all. I am trying to validate the baptism and find the parents of my ancestor Phillip/Philip Growt/Grout. From Family Search I have a suggestion that he was baptised at St Mary's Braughing Herts on 4 February 1686 but there is no record number shown, just the suggestion of "Ch record" which I take to mean Church record.
I think he was the son of another Phillip Growt and an unknown wife.
He had 2 brothers (I think) also baptised at St Mary's Braughing - James bap 30 Jan 1684 and Thomas 14 Oct 1691, both with Father Phillip and both taken from England, Select Births and Christenings.
Phillip jnr was next recorded in a marriage with Dinah Starky (cant find any other records for her..) on 6 Oct 1734 at St Michaels Bishops Stortford, Herts (England and Wales Marriages but no record numbers)
Phillip and Dinah then have 5 children, all baptised at Braughing.

If his father is another Phillip Growt, born/bap about 1659 then we have another search for Phillip snr's baptism. We think he was the son of Robert Growt and his second wife Elesabeth but again , no record to confirm.

My wish to confirm both these Phillip Growts is to take my direct line back those two generations and to confirm that I am descended from Robert and Elesebeth Growt. Any help or suggestions much appreciated. Regards, Jenthec (Jenny from Australia)
Old 19-10-20, 08:36
Administrator

I have the Philip who married Dinah Starky on my tree, but haven't gone back from him as he and his wife are not my relatives. Also, I remember now, not finding his supposed 1705 (?) baptism. <<<<EDIT See post #13 about this 1705 business!

Glossing over that, as I probably didn't look hard, there's an image on FMP for a bap 4 Feb 1686 at Braughing Phillip son of Phillip Growt. No further detail.

I will post up more a bit later if no one else has, as I should be doing jobs right now!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-20, 08:59
Administrator

There are images for Philip's (1686) brothers, Jeames (James) son of Phillip Grout of Stondon (Standon) bap 30 Jan 1684/5 (This entry has been transcribed as both Jeames and Thomas) and Thomas son of Phillip Grout bap 14 Oct 1691, both at Braughing.

Quote:
If his father is another Phillip Growt, born/bap about 1659 then we have another search for Phillip snr's baptism. We think he was the son of Robert Growt and his second wife Elesabeth but again , no record to confirm.
When you say, no record to confirm, what info do you have?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-20, 09:03

The baptismal record is on FMP:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F71390375%2F1
Old 19-10-20, 09:05

This is the baptism for James:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F71390326%2F1

Spelled Jeames. They were from "Stondon" - Standon.

Thomas:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F71390476%2F1
Old 19-10-20, 09:17
Administrator

Re Dinah Starky - The image of the marriage entry actually reads Starkyn and there is the potential for further letters as the binding of the register stops any more being visible.

I'm wondering if this is her?

Dinah Starkins bap 24 Oct 1709 at Standon, parents George and Margaret.

There's no image for that one (Hertfordshire Baptisms record set, FMP), but there are a few other Starkins baptisms with the same parents and no other spellings.

Old 19-10-20, 09:21
Administrator

Thanks Elizabeth. I should have put the links, but I was down from two fingered typing to one finger as I had the cat all over me, stamping on the kepboard and then curling up on my lap, but hanging off on one side so I lost the use of one arm whilst I supported her (not inconsiderable) body weight

Old 19-10-20, 09:25
Administrator

Have you found a baptism for Philip 1705? If not, can you be sure he is the son of Philip bap 1686 and not the son of his brother James, or someone else?

EDIT _ See post #13!!

Old 19-10-20, 09:51

Phillip Grout juna (junior) buried 5th December 1706

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F72305439%2F1

Philip Grout buried 24th July 1716

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F72305567%2F1

both at Braughing.
Old 19-10-20, 09:54

Burial of daughter An:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F72305124%2F1

27th April 1689
daughter of Philip